C

Cr122

Updated: August 28, 2010, 9:15 PM ET
Vincent Jackson prepared to sit '10

ESPN.com news services

San Diego Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson said in an interview Friday on NFL Network that he will "absolutely" sit out the entire 2010 season if he does not get a long-term contract.

"We're prepared for that," Jackson said in the interview. "The union comes and talks to us about the lockout possibly next year and I've been financially smart."

Jackson said he wants to return, but won't without what he thinks is the right compensation.

Jackson I'm ready for the long haul, but again I miss football. I'm passionate about the game. I wouldn't be out here training and working as hard as I am if I wasn't. I'm hoping everything works out, but I'm not holding my breath for anything.
” -- Chargers WR Vincent Jackson on sitting out entire 2010 season

Jackson is seeking a five-year contract worth $50 million, with $30 million guaranteed, sources told ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton.

"I'm ready for the long haul, but again I miss football," Jackson said. "I'm passionate about the game. I wouldn't be out here training and working as hard as I am if I wasn't. I'm hoping everything works out, but I'm not holding my breath for anything."

Jackson, a Pro Bowler last season, was deemed a restricted free agent due to the lack of a collective bargaining agreement in 2011.

The Chargers tendered him for one year at $3.268 million, but Jackson, along with Pro Bowl left tackle Marcus McNeill, refused to sign and held out of all offseason activities.

On June 15, the Chargers cut Jackson's tender to $583,000. When Jackson did not report to training camp by Aug. 20, the Chargers placed him on the roster exempt list. If Jackson does sign, he is subject to an immediate three-game suspension when he reports.

Jackson also was suspended for the first three games of the season by the NFL after pleading guilty to his second DUI since 2006.

Jackson said he had not talked to anyone in the Chargers' front office, instead relying on his agents to represent him.

"I trust my agents," he said. "They're doing all they can to handle that situation and I'm doing everything I can control as far as being the best receiver I can be by staying physically ready to go."

If Jackson doesn't sign by Sept. 4, he will miss at least six games and if he doesn't play in the final six games of the year, Jackson will not accrue a year toward free agency. In that case, if there is no lockout in 2011, he'll still be a restricted free agent when the 2010 season ends.

Jackson's agent, Neil Schwartz, was given permission to talk to the Seattle Seahawks, but nothing came of the meeting.

Jackson said he had no idea what the Chargers planned to do.

"We've been trying to figure that out," Jackson said. "... We're not being granted permission to speak to other teams and we're not even sure if they want to trade me. I would love to stay in San Diego. That's where I've been and I have a good relationship with the guys that are there. I miss being around my teammates, but again I understand the beast of the business. We're just controlling everything we can right now."

Schwartz told The Associated Press on Wednesday the Chargers have given the impression that they have no interest in trading Jackson.

Schwartz said news of his talks with the Seahawks prompted a half-dozen other teams to contact him. He said he told them he didn't have permission to talk to them and referred them to the Chargers.

Schwartz said he spoke with Chargers negotiator Ed McGuire on Tuesday, offering to help facilitate a trade. He said he was told there are teams to which the Chargers don't want Jackson traded.

Schwartz said he asked for the list of teams the Chargers would trade Jackson to, and what compensation they wanted in exchange for the receiver.

"They said 'no' to both," said Schwartz, who added that his discussion with McGuire was cordial.

"After my conversation with Ed McGuire, I got the impression it didn't seem like they had any inclination to trade V.J.," the agent said.

Schwartz said he and the Seahawks didn't discuss money, only philosophy. He said the discussion did include other wideouts comparable to Jackson.

Jackson caught 68 passes for 1,167 yards and nine touchdowns last season, his second straight 1,000-yard season. Jackson has 25 career TDs after being drafted in the second round by San Diego in 2005.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Top Bottom