ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not everyone using these accounts is necessarily breaking the law. It's about 10 trillion dollars if we only look at Americans. In many cases, this is money that has been accrued over decades and, in some cases, lifetimes.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-exposes-secrets-of-off-shore-tax-havens-173639198.html

Damn, that's a shit ton of money. Possibly 120,000 accounts from all over the world. Guess 30 Americans are in deep shit now.

What's to stop the people who run these offshore banks from fucking these people over?

Why would they all be in deep shit? All this info was mined from a stolen hard drive mailed to a reporter. There is nothing indicating every single person did something illegal. In fact there are legitimate reasons for keeping money out of this and other countries. Does Cyprus ring any bells?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Why would they all be in deep shit? All this info was mined from a stolen hard drive mailed to a reporter. There is nothing indicating every single person did something illegal. In fact there are legitimate reasons for keeping money out of this and other countries. Does Cyprus ring any bells?

Cause they're being accused of fraud and laundering and if they were actually doing any of it, I'm guessing there's a good chance that the evidence will come out. I guess if they weren't they have nothing to worry about but it's not like the rest of the 4,000 Americans who were found in the files are in the same position.

Granted, I don't know how strong the accusations against them are but I'm just guessing that it's not TMZ who blew the whistle on them.

Maybe they all aren't in deep shit. I dunno. I do know that I would rather not be accused of laundering and then have my secret money accounts exposed.

Assumption on my part, I guess.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I guess the people who reported on it aren't going to release the documents.

http://www.icij.org/blog/2013/04/why-we-will-not-turn-over-offshore-files-government-agencies

This has all the makings of a good movie.

In a world, where the rich get richer, one man is about to change everything. He was sent to obtain a jump drive that could contain incomprehensible wealth, but he ended up in the middle of the priciest Mexican Standoff that this world has seen. The government needs him alive. The rich want him dead. Noe Jason Bourne, deployed to extract files from the ICIJ, must battle constant flashbacks and Blair Witch camera movements to uncover everything. Matt Damin in, The Bourne Evasion. Coming this fall.

Top Bottom