C

Cr122

Tony Romo: Having too many options on offense is not going to be a problem, 'in any way, shape or form'

01:01 AM CDT on Friday, August 27, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo sat down for an interview on Thursday to discuss the offense and any issues that the team may have. Here are some highlights:

When you don’t have a great game, such as the San Diego preseason game, how do you deal with the criticism? Do you put the criticism aside, take the blame and just move on?

Absolutely. I think we play this game to play at a high level and in some ways, you’re continuously always evaluating from the previous week. And there’s always the overall goal, and I’m talking from the individual basis, as far as what you need to get better and improve from the previous season. But there’s also that goal of improving from the last week: ‘What didn’t you do well? Why did they catch you off guard? Why did you make this mistake?’

And you put that in your memory bank and they begin to be experiences and if you’re good enough, you don’t make them again. And that was part of it; part of it we just didn’t play well. We had one guy mess up here and then another guy missed this play. You know, I messed up here and it was just take your pick. It was just one of those situations and we can’t allow that to happen. That’s why we’re working hard this week to correct that.

Is the main reason the Cowboys have issues in the red zone not Jason Garrett’s play calling but poor execution by a few players?

Well, I definitely think execution is a major, major point and part of the good or bad, depending on what you’re doing. Part of it, we’re trying not to do and it’s the full game. We’re trying not to do the things we feel like we’re going to be doing a ton when we’re out there in the regular season, but we have to execute and we have to move the ball. And so, you’re going to do things you feel good about.

I don’t know that any specific preseason determines an outcome. I know the Colts are 4-100 or whatever they are but there is an execution side you want to feel comfortable about coming from those games. Now the things you want to make sure is if you don’t move the ball, or if you aren’t scoring, is it correctable? Or it is it you’re just getting outmanned here? And they’re correctable. We’re playing with some new people at different positions and there’s a lot of talking and communications that go on and everybody has got to be on the same page. And the more and the longer people play together, those things get easier and I don’t know for sure but if rewound 12 months, I’m pretty sure we had similar discussions last season and the year before that. So it’s just an ongoing process every year.

You and Roy Williams had communication issues in the past. Is there just something different about Roy that forces you to change your approach as opposed to Miles Austin or Patrick Crayton?

Well, I wouldn’t say that it’s different. I just think that we’re always working and trying to get it to where everything becomes second nature and that’s just part of the process. That’s why you go through the off season and training camp and we’ve done a better job. We still have a ways to go and we’re still growing but that’s like with a lot of receivers. I’ve been here with Miles for his whole career, so I’ve been around him. So, we’ll see, as we’re going forward but it’s coming along.

Is there a possibility that you have too many options on offense?

It only becomes an issue if you have differing personalities that can disrupt that. Now, I think we have some of the most genuine, good people at those positions that care about the team and the team is first. We’ve worked very hard to make that a point of emphasis these last few years to know that not everybody is going to have 120 catches and do everything that’s on Sportscenter but the way to win is the guy who’s going to block for the backside and let the play continue to develop. What’s going to win is blocking downfield; what’s going to win is me getting better this week than I was the last. That’s all the start of the process and so I think the guys have all bought into that and we have a bunch of guys, these are very selfless individuals, and I think we’re lucky in that regard. So no, I do not think that is going to be a problem, in any way shape or form.

Are you ready for the season?

Oh yea. I’ve been anxiously awaiting here for a while. I mean, we still got to do some things to improve and get better and we have some ways to go but we also have two or three weeks where we get that opportunity and that’s a long time. People don’t realize how much you can do in that amount of time. I know that I’m very excited about the upcoming season. I’m excited about the people we have and the work we’ve put in. Guys are committed to this. You don’t see 20 guys in the training room taking a day off here and there. I mean, you got a lot of players that are very, very good football players who are out here practicing every, single day and that’s rare.

To listen to the interview, click here.

• • •

C

Cr122

We need good Oline play to fully show the potential of this offense.

Top Bottom