C

Cr122

Tony Romo: Expectations will be high 'until I go out and win a Super Bowl'

10:20 PM CDT on Sunday, August 29, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was interviewed on Sunday and discussed the pressures and expectations that quarterbacks face and especially himself as the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights:

Keith Brooking said he couldn’t imagine the pressure and the expectations that the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys faces. What are your thoughts on that?

You know, I guess I appreciate Brook for saying that in some ways just cause he understand the situation, but I also think that I’ve never experienced another football thing. It just feels like that’s just part of being quarterback in the National Football League is the request of different things. A lot of people depend on you in this position and a look of people look to you, but I don’t know that it’s that different. There’s still a lot of pressure to perform no matter where you’re at. You’ve been to a lot of camps and I’m pretty sure every quarterback knows they got to go out and play well for their team to be successful.

But you wouldn’t you say that you and Kyle Orton aren’t under quite the same scrutiny?

Well, but his scrutiny is…I guarantee he still feels that same level of scrutiny. It’s just relative. I tell this to high school kids. When a high school kid is getting ready to go play in his Friday Night Football game, he still feels the same nerves, the same feeling, the same excitement level that I feel on a Sunday afternoon. Whether there are 60-70,000 fans or a thousand, that kid and me, we still have the same type of feelings leading up to that game. So, I think it’s just part of it.

Do you try and help take some of the pressure off Roy Williams, who some say is more scrutinized than Terrell Owens when he was here?

Well, I think, part of it is just your expectations that people have. I mean, Roy came in a situation where we gave up draft picks and gave him a lot of money and that comes with the territory. People want to see you perform and that includes the organization and they believe in him. They wouldn’t have went out and got him if they didn’t, so I just think that people have high expectations and until you go out…it’s no different than me; until I go out and win a Super Bowl and take the next step, that’s always going to be there. So you have to play good, day in and day out. Roy’s had a good offseason. He’s come to camp, he’s in great shape, and he’s running around. We’ll just keep improving and I think he’s got a bright future.

• • •

Top Bottom