C

Cr122

Updated: August 19, 2010, 12:13 PM

OXNARD, Calif. - The No. 40 for a special teams player is rather sacred to Cowboys fans.

A few months ago, Danny McCray admits he knew nothing about that. He certainly is aware of it by now.

Because as McCray works his way through his first training camp, he knows his meal ticket to a spot on the 53-man roster is by way of special teams.

Some 17 years ago, another undrafted rookie from an SEC school did the exact same thing. An undersized and speed-lacking safety from the University of Tennessee, Bill Bates not only made the Cowboys' roster back in 1983, but became somewhat of a special-teams legend. Bates excelled at his position so well that the NFL decided to add a spot on the Pro Bowl roster. He was the first NFC representative for the Pro Bowl back in 1984, and played 15 seasons for the Cowboys, tying him for the most in franchise history with Ed Jones and Mark Tuinei.

More than anything, Bates was a fan favorite for his relentless style of play and dedication to succeed, despite lacking all the physical tools.

Since signing with the Cowboys right after the draft out of LSU, McCray said he's now well aware of Bates' career.

"Man, I've heard Bill Bates' name many, many times now," McCray said. "I hadn't heard of him before. I know it's sad to say. But I hadn't heard of him until now."

But it certainly didn't take long.

"Right away, a lot of people came up to me and said, 'Hey, you've got Bill Bates' number. That's big shoes to fill.' But I've heard he's a hard player, a big hitter - sort of nasty vicious. So even if I hadn't heard of him, I know right away I kind of like the way he played the game. So I don't mind that comparison at all."

But first things first for McCray, he knows he has to play his way onto the roster, something he's in the process of doing after two preseason games.

"I think it's going pretty well for me right now," McCray said. "The coaches told me I've done a good job in the games. But I can't let up. That's something you just can't do on special teams. You have to go hard every play. So I have no time to rest."

To make this squad, McCray knows it'll have to be from his special teams play first and foremost. But don't think he doesn't consider himself a safety as well. In fact, McCray made an interception in his first game as a Cowboy, picking off a pass against Cincinnati in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton.

"I know special teams is what I do best," McCray said. "But I think I can play in this league at safety. I consider myself a football player. I've always said I would do whatever the coaches ask me to do, being a team player. My goal is to play safety. But special teams is where you have to start. I have fun playing special teams. I don't have a problem doing it." McCray was primarily a special teams performer at LSU, playing behind Chad Jones, a third-round pick of the Giants who nearly lost his leg in a horrific car accident over the summer. Jones has been released by the Giants since his football career is all but over.

"It was sad news when I heard that," McCray said of his teammate. "Chad … Chad is like a brother to me. I talked to him a few weeks ago. He told me how proud he was of me. We still look out for each other."

McCray said he wanted to write some form of dedication to Jones on his taped wrists or ankles, but was informed by the team it's against the NFL's uniform policy.

"I definitely would've said something like 'No. 3 - forever LSU Tigers.'" McCray said. "Chad was a great player and a great teammate. It's a sad thing what happened to him. But I know he's proud of me and will be watching to see how I do."

So far, it's going well for McCray. He's done enough to make his former LSU teammates proud.

Now, his next goals are to not only find a way onto the roster, but to honor the No. 40 in the same special way Bill Bates did long before him.

Top Bottom