SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Is Trump really a great business man?

No,I don't think so,hence my "Whatever it is" qualifier.
His skill set lies in his ability to brush off a setback and keep going.That's about it.He's had some disastrous ventures.
Ties in directly with his massive ego.
Trump simply has to get off the "I'm my best adviser thing".

Reaction score
Johnson polling at 16% in Utah. Trump at 29%, Clinton at 26%, and "other" gets 29%. "Other" is tied with Trump in a red state.

Reaction score
I hope so... Would love to see Trump and Clinton flailing in their sandboxes.

Probably what happens is Sanders backers don't have the stones to vote for anyone but Hillary, and Trump haters back Johnson, giving the election to Hillary... But I'd like to be surprised by the Bernie groupies.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I didn't hear about that... he's been consistently pro 2nd Amendment. Got a link?

I had three or four people tag me with the story on FB. I will see if I can find it. I do remember that it was reported by several news sources. IIRC, he had a meltdown while being interviewed after giving some crazy anti-gun statements. I was surprised because I had heard that he was pro-gun. I have not wasted the time to look at his positions on the issues. Voting for him would be wasting a vote, so I figure it is a waste of time.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Johnson's a smart guy and evidently well respected,but he certainly does and says some things that are out there.
No one is sure to this day if we was joking or not about being "briefed on Roswell" during his first term as New Mexico's governor.Having done a little research on him since he popped back up,I'm guessing he was yanking some chains.
Point being he's liable to say anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had three or four people tag me with the story on FB. I will see if I can find it. I do remember that it was reported by several news sources. IIRC, he had a meltdown while being interviewed after giving some crazy anti-gun statements. I was surprised because I had heard that he was pro-gun. I have not wasted the time to look at his positions on the issues. Voting for him would be wasting a vote, so I figure it is a waste of time.
Pretty sure Trump has made anti-gun (pro gun control) statements in the past. You just gonna ignore that I guess?

Do you have to vote for the winner to not "waste your vote?" I would argue that voting for someone you don't think would be a good president is a wasted vote and is just feeding into the shitty political landscape of the country. Trump is going to grow the government just like all Repubs over the last 16 years. How long are you going to vote for a party who says one thing and does another?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Pep, I think you have to vote who you feel is best for the job.

I have zero problem if you vote for Johnson or whatever his name is.

I am curious though, because I haven't been able to find a person to bounce this question off of in my every day life. I'm pretty sure you're conservative, if I'm wrong, my bad.

But assuming you are for a moment. . .

Does the potential of the SCOTUS nomination(s) by Hillary give you any pause in your decision for who you'll vote for? Let's assume for a minute that she becomes POTUS, wouldn't that be every conservatives worst nightmare when it comes to the 2nd amendment?

I'm legitimately curious. If for some reason you're not conservative, I would hope another conservative in this thread can answer this, especially one considering not voting for Trump.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you read the rest of my post? Having a lot of money doesn't make you a good business man. Otherwise you would have once thought Mike Tyson was a good business man.

Kinda two different things there Pep

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Trump's fantastic at real estate,really talented it's said.Pretty much sucks at every other business he touches.
Donald Trump's a salesman and pretty good at that too,no doubt.I think he realizes that is exactly what it takes to win an election like this.
Seldom in the last few elections has there been much discourse about issues.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What a joke this fucking country is.

Not that Trump is an ideal candidate... but holy fuck Hillary is pure shit. Completely corrupt and shady and a shit human being, and she's going to be the next president.

It's fucking unreal how we've gone from Roosevelts, Kennedy's, and Reagans to this shit show the past 16 years plus at least four more.

Someone fucking nuke us and end this shit now.

4cc6e782d7ff7d472a5ca90a6042688f.jpg

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Trump could be a good candidate for all the reasons people like him -- pro business, understands taxes, not an entrenched politician, etc.

But why does he have to make these occasional outrageous comments that make him look like a complete ass, like about this Hispanic judge? Isn't that frustrating to you Trump fans? Don't you think if he'd just tone those down he'd have a much better chance of winning?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Does the potential of the SCOTUS nomination(s) by Hillary give you any pause in your decision for who you'll vote for? Let's assume for a minute that she becomes POTUS, wouldn't that be every conservatives worst nightmare when it comes to the 2nd amendment?

I'm legitimately curious. If for some reason you're not conservative, I would hope another conservative in this thread can answer this, especially one considering not voting for Trump.

Here is Billary's stance on gun control. By the way the NRA has stated that she is the worst 2A candidate to ever win the nomination of a major party.

"Secretary of State; previously Democratic Senator (NY)
Click here for 29 full quotes by Hillary Clinton OR click here for Hillary Clinton on other issues.
FactCheck: 33,000 gun deaths includes suicides & accidents. (Jan 2016)
I support Brady Bill and closing the Charleston loophole. (Dec 2015)
Arming more people is not appropriate response to terrorism. (Dec 2015)
Reverse gun manufacturer immunity; let them get sued. (Nov 2015)
Don't shield gun manufacturers from lawsuits:I vote that way. (Oct 2015)
Gun control advocates see Clinton as an ally. (Jun 2015)
Rein in idea that anybody can have a gun anywhere, anytime. (May 2014)
2000: advocate for national gun registry; 2008: backed off. (May 2014)
Balance lawful gun ownership & keeping guns from criminals. (Apr 2008)
Give local police access to federal gun tracking info. (Apr 2008)
Let states & cities determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
Against illegal guns, crack down on illegal gun dealers. (Jan 2008)
Backed off a national licensing registration plan on guns. (Jan 2008)
Get assault weapons & guns off the street. (Jul 2007)
Background check system could prevent Virginia Tech massacre. (Apr 2007)
FactCheck: VA Tech shooter not declared a danger to others. (Apr 2007)
Congress’ failure at Littleton response inspired Senate run. (Nov 2003)
Keep guns away from people who shouldn’t have them. (Sep 2000)
Limit access to weapons; look for early warning signs. (Sep 2000)
License and register all handgun sales. (Jun 2000)
Tough gun control keeps guns out of wrong hands. (Jul 1999)
Gun control protects our children. (Jul 1999)
Don’t water down sensible gun control legislation. (Jul 1999)
Lock up guns; store ammo separately. (Jun 1999)
Ban kids’ unsupervised access to guns. (Jun 1999)
Get weapons off the streets; zero tolerance for weapons. (Sep 1996)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)"

Here is Trumps stance

"2000 Reform Primary Challenger for President
Click here for 14 full quotes by Donald Trump OR click here for Donald Trump on other issues.
Mass shootings are due to a huge mental health problem. (Jan 2016)
No limits on guns; they save lives. (Jan 2016)
Keep enemies of the state away from guns. (Nov 2015)
Gun-free zones are target practice for sickos. (Oct 2015)
Gun ownership makes US safer, not more dangerous. (Oct 2015)
Mental health more important than gun control. (Oct 2015)
Laws are ineffective in preventing gun violence. (Oct 2015)
Gun violence is inevitable; regulations won't help. (Oct 2015)
Protect the Second Amendment, but address mental health. (Sep 2015)
Take guns from good people & bad people have target practice. (Jul 2015)
A very strong person on the Second Amendment. (Jun 2015)
I am against gun control. (Feb 2011)
Dems and Reps are both wrong on guns. (Jul 2000)
For assault weapon ban, waiting period, & background check. (Jul 2000)"

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
But why does he have to make these occasional outrageous comments that make him look like a complete ass, like about this Hispanic judge? Isn't that frustrating to you Trump fans? Don't you think if he'd just tone those down he'd have a much better chance of winning?

In a word, No.

From the moment the guy launched his bid, he was labeled a racist. Not a single thing he said in his opening remarks were false or racist.

Being this close to the GE, I think he should have crafted his statements much better, but it didn't piss me off.

With the ties the judge has to "La Raza", I think it's perfectly fine to question if the judge is capable of conducting himself in a fair manner when it comes to judging a guy that has policy beliefs that go completely against what La Raza stands for.

As far as him toning it down, I think he'll get there soon. I do think a more mellow Trump is more electable. He has to find the right gear that makes him palatable to the maybe votes, but also keeps his hardcore support engaged.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
As far as him toning it down, I think he'll get there soon. I do think a more mellow Trump is more electable
That's what I'm saying. Whatever positive policies you think he'd enact, they would be the same without being so bombastic on the campaign trail. It would be a shame if he lost a very close election because he unnecessarily pissed off some people who might otherwise have voted for him.

Reaction score
Pep, I think you have to vote who you feel is best for the job.

I have zero problem if you vote for Johnson or whatever his name is.

I am curious though, because I haven't been able to find a person to bounce this question off of in my every day life. I'm pretty sure you're conservative, if I'm wrong, my bad.

But assuming you are for a moment. . .

Honestly, I'm terrified of SCOTUS nominations from both Trump and Hillary. They're both likely to appoint someone who will not get in the way of their government. Does anyone really believe Trump will nominate someone in the vein of Scalia, who's a strict constructionist, given his statements that he wants to "open up the libel laws" or prevent immigrants from coming in on the basis of their religion... both of which eviscerate the First Amendment?

Trump is a vexatious litigant who doesn't like that he's been shut out of libel suits by the First Amendment and stare decisis. That's a dangerous person to give the power to appoint not only SCOTUS justices, but also all federal judges.

Libertarians have a better grasp on, and respect for, the Constitution. By and large, Republicans and Democrats both see the Constitution as an obstruction to their platforms. Dems want to overturn Citizen's United post haste... which was a pro-First Amendment decision. Repubs want to break into your iPhones and keep the Patriot Act alive and well. They will appoint judges who share that vision.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm terrified of SCOTUS nominations from both Trump and Hillary. They're both likely to appoint someone who will not get in the way of their government. Does anyone really believe Trump will nominate someone in the vein of Scalia, who's a strict constructionist, given his statements that he wants to "open up the libel laws" or prevent immigrants from coming in on the basis of their religion... both of which eviscerate the First Amendment?

Trump is a vexatious litigant who doesn't like that he's been shut out of libel suits by the First Amendment and stare decisis. That's a dangerous person to give the power to appoint not only SCOTUS justices, but also all federal judges.

Libertarians have a better grasp on, and respect for, the Constitution. By and large, Republicans and Democrats both see the Constitution as an obstruction to their platforms. Dems want to overturn Citizen's United post haste... which was a pro-First Amendment decision. Repubs want to break into your iPhones and keep the Patriot Act alive and well. They will appoint judges who share that vision.

Trump went public with the list of judges he would consider for nomination, it was an impressive list.

I trust him far more than the Kunthag on that without question.

Top Bottom