C

Cr122

10:18 PM CDT on Saturday, August 14, 2010

• Players were in helmets and jerseys for Saturday's afternoon practice, but the competitiveness of the session increased a lot over the morning workout. Only two days removed from the Oakland game, coach Wade Phillips said the players will be back in pads today.

• Terence Newman and Patrick Crayton handled the punt returns in the afternoon. Newman dropped two balls and heard it from the fans on the sideline. In the morning, the focus was on kickoff return and coverage. Manny Johnson, Kevin Ogletree and Teddy Williams worked as the returners.

• Newman is having an excellent camp. He opened up the 7-on-7 drills by knocking a pass out of Jason Witten's hands. Later, Newman perfectly timed his undercut of a deep-in route from Jon Kitna to Crayton.

• It was a sluggish start for the offense in the afternoon. At one point during 7-on-7, Tony Romo and Kitna completed just two of 10 throws and had an interception. The pick was on Romo, but he was not to blame. Ogletree went outside but Romo went to the inside, giving Cletis Gordon the interception.

• The team drills, however, were a different story. Romo completed seven of nine passes, with his only misses coming on a blitz mixup with Miles Austin, and a pass across the middle to Roy Williams that was behind the receiver.

• After two straight incompletions in 7-on-7 drills by Kitna, several fans started chanting for Stephen McGee. McGee hit Lonyae Miller and DajLeon Farr on his first two passes of the drill.

• Overall, Roy Williams had a productive practice. He caught a deep-in, a slant and an out from Romo in team drills. Earlier, he had grabs on an out and throw to the flat from Romo. Williams could not, however, come down with a long throw down the sideline that went off his fingertips.

• Anthony Spencer's run-stopping ability probably doesn't get talked about enough. While not in pads, he stoned fullback Chris Gronkowski on a toss play to Tashard Choice to the right for what would have been a big loss.

• Former Cowboys tight end Eric Bjornson was a visitor at the morning practice. He spent some time catching up with Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett. No truth to the rumor that Jerry Jones wanted to sign him up now because of the shortage of healthy tight ends on the roster.

• Wide receivers coach Ray Sherman spent a lot of time working with the wide receivers on blocking in the running game during the morning session. The Cowboys have some good blockers in Austin, Roy Williams and Crayton and their work in the past has led to big runs. Sherman wanted to make sure the wideouts kept their eyes on the safety, even as they were blocking a cornerback to help create some second-level separation.

Todd Archer

C

Cr122

I feel pretty good about our defense, and Newman may be having a good camp, but I don't see where he has done great in the preseason.

I give our front seven a lot of the credit for the pressure they have brought, that alone will give your safeties and corners time to cover the receivers. I will say our secondary has played okay to this point.

Top Bottom