sbk92

Reaction score
Jeff Sullivan
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Actually, not many thoughts today. There's only so many times one can analyze the NFL Draft, well, at least for those of us not named McShay and Kiper. So we're going to answer some of the better emails/queries of the last few weeks. Please keep them coming at jsullivan@dallascowboys.net.

I really like reading your column. If the lockout goes past July will they still have the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies or is that put on hold too? - Ron

First off, can't fathom the lockout lasting much longer, but that said, who knows? The first instinct is to say that the NFL would never, ever, ever postpone the inductions, but they take place in conjunction with the Hall of Fame game, and if there's a lockout, obviously no football will be played. While we're here, now that the election committee has finally elected NFL Films founder Ed Sabol, here's hoping they make it back-to-back years for the family and tab his son Steve as well, who last month was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Now that the NFL has officially ceased business, do you think that the Canadian Football League will get more air time in the United States? Is this a prime opening for the United Football League? Will any NFL owners find a way to put a team in the UFL? Inquiring minds want to know!! - Irv

Was shocked to see the CFL has been around since 1958. Who knew? Was equally stunned to see Marty Schottenheimer take a head coaching gig in the UFL (they really spent weeks and multiple think tanks on that name, huh?). Then again, coaches coach, right? And no one else was calling. Same reason Howard Schnellenberger is still at Florida Atlantic at 77 years of age.

Speaking of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Schottenheimer should make for an interesting case when he's presented, which is likely a few years off. He's sixth all-time in wins with 200 and his .613 winning percentage is better than Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and Bill Parcells, just to name three. However, his 5-13 postseason mark could be a deal breaker. Never coached in a Super Bowl, either. Then again, can't blame him for Earnest Byner's fumble.

Anyhow, as to the question, and this might sound bizarre, but I don't think NFL fans watch football because they love the sport per se. This was one of the reasons the XFL was an utter failure. It's more the event atmosphere, the rooting for the home team. It's not the dynamics of the sport itself. So even if I believed the lockout was going to progress past this month, still don't see any other football league receiving more attention because of it.

I am a fan of your articles and I think very highly of your opinions. This is my first time writing to you and my question is regarding Tony Romo. I think his stats are very good and I think the 2009 season was his best. That being said, I have to ask if he is the future of this Cowboys franchise, I thought he did excellent all season and against Philly in the playoffs, but when it came to the Vikings, I was very embarrassed along with many other fans. I just wanted to know what you thought about him and the future of the Cowboys and the idea that Jerry Jones is taking interest in Cam Newton. I appreciate your opinions and I look forward to hearing from you. - Kevin

There's a better chance of the Cowboys drafting Nate Newton later this month than Cam. Yet there has been no more popular topic filling my inbox the last three weeks than this possibility. Not. Happening. Talking a zero chance out of infinity squared.

And yes, Romo is the present and future of this football team. He should have another five or six peak years. As for Martellus Bennett saying there should be a competition come training camp with Jon Kitna, here's a quick memo for the fourth-year tight end who averaged less than eight yards per catch last season and hasn't scored a touchdown since his rookie campaign: There's going to be serious competition at the No. 2 tight end and John Phillips isn't currently running his mouth and insulting the starting quarterback.

When Lee Roy Jordan was at Alabama, he was known for saying, "I grew up on my daddy's farm pickin' cotton. Playing football is like a day off to me." Combining his talent with that attitude, is it any wonder he became the Cowboys all time tackling leader? How he and Chuck Howley are left out of Canton is beyond me.

I enjoyed your Dandy Don column and never realized how much abuse he took those early years due to such a leaky offensive line. I also wasn't aware that he made the call on the option pass from Reeves to Rentzel in the Ice Bowl. I'll always believe Hondo (John Havlicek), Dizzy Dean and Dandy Don are the three greatest players to ever wear # 17.

When the Pats traded Carl Garrett for Duane Thomas way back when, I'll never forget how excited I was as a Pats fan. Pondering the possibilities of a backfield consisting of big Jim Nance and Thomas was almost dream-like. I'm aware that Thomas' refusal to get into a three-point stance prompted the Pats to sour on the deal, but it was never clear to me why Pete Rozelle went ahead and nullified the trade. - Mike

For me, in terms of Cowboys and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, here's my top-5 of who should be in: 1) Cliff Harris, 2) Charles Haley, 3) Lee Roy Jordan, 4) Chuck Howley and 5) Harvey Martin. Should say that while the argument can most certainly be made for the final three, it's not the injustice many make it out to be if they are never enshrined. And no, Drew Pearson wasn't on that list, but yes, he absolutely, positively should be among the Ring of Honor. Harris and Haley are, however, gross injustices in not being residences of Canton.

Next up, yeah, Reeves told me last year that Meredith literally called the play on the field, said he noticed they were putting eight in the box and that should be wide open. Landry knew nothing of it until the play transpired.

Agree on that top-2 for No. 17, but a few hockey players (Jari Kurri, Valeri Kharlamov) might have an argument for third before Meredith. Philip Rivers also wears No. 17.

Finally, as far as Rozelle nullifying the trade, keep in mind he would routinely sleep at Tex Schramm's house when staying in Dallas and the two were best friends. Not implying anything shady, just throwing that out there. Life is a little easier when you're best friends with the boss.

As a retired old Coot, who has followed the Cowboys since the early 1960s, the latest with Dez Bryant is pushing me over the edge. I might even have to consider becoming a Packer fan - well, not really!! In the job I held for 40 years, it was well understood that a person's off-job activities could reflect on the entire business, both positively and negatively. Thus, a person was expected to meet certain standards both on and off the job.

Bryant may be a football talent, but in my opinion, get rid of him. I've watched too many players totally destroy a franchise with their off-field stupidity and their "Me Only" mentality. - Tom

This was one of 14 emails the last week or so that, to say the least, wasn't overly thrilled with Bryant. Talked about this at length in my last column, so let's just say it's instrumental that the moment the lockout ends, literally that day, Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones need to sit down with Bryant and talk about surrounding him with better "advisors." He's still young and hasn't really done anything obscene as of yet. But this has all the makings of becoming much, much more.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
This wasn't a great question and answer write up but I like Sullivan. His "Inside the Bald Head" write ups in the Dallas Star are about the only thing worth reading. He is way more insightful and entertaining than the usual dribble that come from Spagnola, Eatman, Watkins, and Taylor.

Top Bottom