C

Cr122

Some odds list Cowboys as NFC favorite, despite Favre's return

12:18 AM CDT on Thursday, August 19, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

The biggest news in NFL circles this week was quarterback Brett Favre's decision to return to the Vikings and try to lead Minnesota to the Super Bowl. The Vikings, you may recall, just missed in 2009 as an interception thrown by Favre helped the New Orleans Saints escape in overtime in the NFC Championship Game.

Certainly, Favre's return is a plus for Minnesota and should help the Vikings field one of the league's most balanced and dangerous offenses.

But does his return make Minnesota the NFC favorite to play in Cowboys Stadium in February, 2011?

Some oddsmakers say no. The bunch at onlinesportshandicappers.com lists the Vikings (with Favre) at 12/1 to win Super Bowl XLV, behind the defending champion Saints and Green Bay Packers at 10/1 and your Dallas Cowboys at 9/1.

The Cowboys, dismantled, 34-3, by the Vikings in the divisional round of the playoffs last season, have been a popular pick to become the first team to play in a Super Bowl in its home stadium. Our own Rick Gosselin predicted a Cowboys-Colts matchup. Others forecasts included Cowboys vs. Ravens and Cowboys vs. Jets.

Cowboys players took the news of Favre's return in stride.

Said Cowboys linebacker Keith Brooking, who was infuriated by Favre throwing a late touchdown pass in the playoff loss to the Vikings last season: "Brett Favre is not high up on my priority list right now. I don't even know which week we play them, but whatever week we do he'll be No. 1. We've got a lot of other work to do now."

Wide receiver Roy Williams had a similar take on the news of Favre's return: "Is he coming back to play for the Cowboys? This doesn't affect us at all. We're going to play against good quarterbacks all year long.''

Quarterback Tony Romo, who has great admiration for Favre, had a little fun upon hearing the news: "He's terrible," a grinning Romo said. "I can't believe he's still playing. He's really got no ability left."

The Cowboys play the Vikings and Favre on Oct. 17.

• • •

Top Bottom