sbk92

Reaction score
Draft Rundown

Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: Leading into the upcoming NFL Draft, which will be held April 28-30, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will take a closer look at several draft prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today's featured player is LSU linebacker Kelvin Sheppard.)

Name: Kelvin Sheppard
Position: Inside Linebacker
College: LSU
Height/Weight: 6-2/250

Honor Roll: A first-team All-SEC performer as a senior, 2010 was Sheppard's third full season starting for the Tigers, whom he led as a team captain. His 311 tackles rank as the ninth-best in school history, and he topped 100 stops in each of his final two seasons in Baton Rouge.

Strengths: Sheppard has tons of experience in the most physically demanding conference in college football, one that generally requires defensive players to display their skills against the inside run as much as the option attack of spread offenses. Over three seasons he has demonstrated the power needed to play inside and the quickness to make an impact on the edges. He is well-built, and has shown no issues with durability.

Weaknesses: Some question Sheppard's instincts and ability to diagnose formations and plays, particularly in pass defense, where he can be fooled. While he is a physical player in the box, Sheppard sometimes has trouble getting off of blocks, and isn't considered the best open-field tackler.

Sound Bites: On how his game will translate to the NFL, and how quickly he can make an impact: "I guess only time will tell with that question. I could sit here and say, 'Next year will be great. I will be a Pro Bowler,' but it's the same thing I said coming out of high school, you just never know. You've got to prepare to take it day by day because you never know why lies in front of you."

Where He's Headed: Opinions differ on the order this draft's inside linebackers come off the board, but Sheppard figures to be in the first handful, along with Martez Wilson of llinois, Josh Bynes of Auburn, Nate Irving of N.C. State and Oregon's Casey Matthews. He could go anywhere from the second round to the fourth or fifth round, but probably no lower given his college pedigree.

How He Helps the Cowboys: There's no doubt the Cowboys need inside linebacker help now that both Bradie James and Keith Brooking are in their 30s and heading into the last year of their contracts. The team has last year's second-round pick Sean Lee on board, but needs more depth. Sheppard would provide them a prototypical 3-4 inside 'backer who could be ready to step in and start as early as 2012, if the team needed it.

Reaction score
I noticed Sheppard alot in the bowl game and i have to say if we pick up a LB i hope its either he or Wilson.

Top Bottom