C

Cr122

Sean Lee among five Cowboys to watch Saturday vs. Houston
Posted at 3:21 PM on Fri., Aug. 27, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

While Saturday's game at Houston will be most like a regular-season tilt and the starters will get the bulk of the time, there will be plenty to watch from a player evaluation standpoint.

Here's a look at five players that you should take note of on Saturday to either secure specific roles on the team or lock up roster spots. The final preseason game against Miami will be more of a determiner for the final few roster spots than this week.

** Alex Barron - He will start at right tackle in Marc Colombo's absence. It will be Barron's first game since suffering a sprained ankle in the Hall of Game. He has right tackle experience even though he has more of a left tackle's game with his feet and athletic ability. He didn't take many right tackle snaps until this week of practice. The Cowboys love to run to their right behind Leonard Davis, so Barron will get a good test.

** Mike Hamlin - He gets the chance to lock down the strong safety spot with Gerald Sensabaugh iffy for the season opener because of a shoulder injury. A concussion kept Hamlin out of the last pre-season game but he practiced all week. He never got into the free safety fight with Alan Ball playing so well, but he has a good understanding of the game. He knows how to use space to his advantage.

** Martin Rucker - In only his first week with the team the tight end was taking second-team snaps. He displayed the ability to catch the ball but the knock on him is blocking. He has to show the coaches he can do the dirty work for them not to look outside the building for a third tight end or go with two fullbacks.

** Sean Lee - He starts in place of Keith Brooking at inside linebacker. He is intense and smart, so he will be around the ball. I want to see how he handles the passing game situations. He had an illegal contact penalty last week (no matter how shady it was) at San Diego. This is a chance to solidify the nickel role with a good game this week.

** Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - The expectation is that Orlando Scandrick will play despite the bruised nose he suffered Thursday, but if he's limited in any way the coaches will not risk any further injury. The first crack at the third corner spot will be Owusu-Ansah. He is still thinking too much, which is expected considering the jump he is making, and needs to cut it loose. I think he's confident in his athletic ability but his mind is racing.

Reaction score
To be honest I'm more interested in just watching the offense as a whole.

We need about 14 to 17 pts to beat the skins.

C

Cr122

The offense needs to show they can score some more points.

I want to see a steady offensive line, and I want us to score touchdowns inside the redzone.

I would also like us to establish some kind of a run game. The defense and special teams I am not worried about.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I want to see more sacks from our defensive line. That, and Sean playing more. I liked what he did in the last game and want more of it. The offense has to start clicking and clicking now! If Romo and Roy cannot get on the same page, throw to everybody else and forget about him. Use him like we did TO the first year we had him, as a decoy.

Reaction score
Oh, I certainly agree. I can't wait to watch Sean Lee tonight. Let's hope for no injures! I want to see him blow up someone in Week 1.

Top Bottom