C

Cr122

Safety Mike Hamlin to get first shot at replacing injured Gerald Sensabaugh

12:46 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

OXNARD, Calif. – As the Cowboys prepare for the possibility of not having starting strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh for the season opener because of a shoulder injury, they gave Mike Hamlin the first chance to be the replacement.

[Click image for a larger version] RON JENKINS/Special Contributor
RON JENKINS/Special Contributor
Mike Hamlin has a laugh while stretching during his first Cowboys practice since he suffered a concussion Aug. 12.

Hamlin returned to practice Monday for the first time since suffering a concussion against Oakland on Aug. 12

"I felt a little sluggish at first," Hamlin said, "but by the second team period I started to loosen up and get back to my normal self."

Hamlin's rookie season was ruined by a broken wrist that limited him to six games. He spent most of his off-season time at free safety behind Alan Ball but doesn't expect a big adjustment to strong safety

"I played strong all last year and played it with the ... [second team] in the first couple of games," Hamlin said. "It's not that big of a deal ... This is a pretty good opportunity to show what I can do."

Hamlin and Pat Watkins, who missed the first three preseason games with a knee injury, are seeing undrafted rookies Danny McCrary and Barry Church make a push for spots on the 53-man roster. Hamlin acknowledged he needs to have a sense of urgency in his play.

"But my main thing is to give everything I've got every day no matter how everybody else is playing," Hamlin said. "Those two guys are doing a great job; two smart guys, two guys that know how to play football, and I feel like they're going to continue to raise our bars."

• • •

Top Bottom