Reaction score
Ryan Mallett runs 5.37 forty time at Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 1:24 PM EST

Quarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Pro Day on Tuesday.

Mallett was the only quarterback to not run at last week’s Scouting Combine, and we now know why.

He’s lineman-slow.

While forty times and similar measurables have no known correlation to NFL success, Mallett’s Pro Day performance confirms the belief that he’s a below-average athlete. Mallett’s other measurables from Tuesday: 26-inch vertical and 8-foot, 7 1/4-inch broad jump at 6-foot-7 and 247 pounds.

He’s lost six pounds since the Combine.

Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18. His broad jump would’ve ranked 16th of the 17 signal callers to participate in that measurement, and his vertical would rank 16th of 17 as well.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not too much of this would matter---well not entirely true, but if he had a much faster relase, but he doesn't.

Reaction score
Does it look like he cares?

RyanMallett.jpg

C

Cr122

I dunno what happened to Ryan he was suppose to be a good player coming out of college.

Maybe he has been hanging out with Ryan Leaf.

sbk92

Reaction score
He's got the most gifted arm in this draft class. He impressed me on a weekly basis with some of the throws he made.

But I got off his bandwagon watching him struggle with pressure coming at him. He can't freelance. He needs a nice comfortable pocket at all times. Good luck with that in the NFL.

He's a lot like Drew Bledsoe. Except maybe not as good of a locker room influence as Drew.

sbk92

Reaction score
But this 40 time means nothing to me. Tom Brady is molasses slow.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
He's got the most gifted arm in this draft class. He impressed me on a weekly basis with some of the throws he made.

But I got off his bandwagon watching him struggle with pressure coming at him. He can't freelance. He needs a nice comfortable pocket at all times. Good luck with that in the NFL.

He's a lot like Drew Bledsoe. Except maybe not as good of a locker room influence as Drew.

Very much so. Great arm but looks like he wears concrete shoes in the pocket. When pressure comes he turns into a statue with a deer in the headlights stare.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
what no one is reporting (yet) is that he is actually slow. Like mentally slow, he has some learning issues. Not his fault but he will have some issues in the NFL.

sbk92

Reaction score
I heard that while he tanked the media interviews at the combine, he did well in the team interviews.

And when I say "I heard", I don't mean any fabricated inside source.

sbk92

Reaction score
Still. If he was there in the 3rd round, I'd be really tempted to take him.

sbk92

Reaction score
Ryan Mallett's pro day workout raises more concerns

Russ Lande
Sporting News

There never has been any question about Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallet's arm strength or accuracy, but questions remain about his decision-making and ability to avoid sacks and buy time in the pocket.

During Tuesday's on-campus workout, Mallett worked out and raised even more concerns about his athleticism. He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.39 seconds — slower than most linemen — and then posted a vertical jump of 26 inches and broad jump of 8 feet, 7 inches.

Bottom line: Think Drew Bledsoe, only not as mobile.

There are few, if any, good NFL quarterbacks who have such a lack of quickness or athleticism. These measureable skills could make it tough for him to slide in the pocket or scramble and outrun any defensive player. NFL quarterbacks always are under duress, so his lack of athleticism will force him to make even faster decisions with the ball.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
lol They said the same thing about Mallet on NFL Network tonight, compared him to Bledsoe, Marino and Fouts.

Marino and Fouts could float in the pocket. Neither wilted under pressure. At least not until the big games.

I think he's more like Bledsoe.

If I had to pick another, Jeff George.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
what no one is reporting (yet) is that he is actually slow. Like mentally slow, he has some learning issues. Not his fault but he will have some issues in the NFL.

I have no idea if what you say is true, but he seemed to have little problem playing exceptionally well in a prostyle offense and playing very well against prostyle defenses in the SEC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Marino and Fouts could float in the pocket. Neither wilted under pressure. At least not until the big games.

I think he's more like Bledsoe.

If I had to pick another, Jeff George.

I can see the Bledsoe comparisons, but Mallet was far better at Arkansas than George was in college.

Top Bottom