Cr122

Updated: August 25, 2010, 9:11 PM
The Time Is Now
Romo Looks Forward To Dress Rehearsal

Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email

TonyRomo_082510_300.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. - As the end of training camp draws near, Tony Romo and the rest of the Cowboys look forward to their "dress rehearsal" against the Texans this Saturday at Reliant Stadium.

"I think it will be good," Romo said. "We have had a good few days here and we are starting to execute pretty good and I think that is a good sign. Usually, how you are practicing has a little bit of effect on the game. If that is the case, then it's been good. We'll be ready to go."

Romo talked about cutting down on mistakes, which have bogged down drives in the preseason, and executing the offense.

"We've had some good drives, but usually that is part of the preseason, the learning curve of somebody making a mistake," Romo said. "We are not game planning any of these games and if we were we would probably get bigger chunks on these plays. But, if you're not then you really have to execute and one guy's mistake destroys the play. For us, it will be important to execute and go out there and move the ball and have confidence."

The three-time Pro Bowl quarterback said he has enjoyed training camp - although it's been long. He said it is a great time to work on certain things without sacrificing games per se. He believes they have done exactly that thus far.

"We've tried a lot of things offensively, we've put in a lot of stuff. We feel we've narrowed it down to what we are going to use and it's been good. I think it's going to benefit us tremendously down the road."

Head coach Wade Phillips said that Romo and the rest of the starters may see playing time during the third quarter versus the Texans, but it depends on how well they are playing and what they are doing.

"As to the number of plays on any player, especially our starters, it's really how they are playing and how we feel like they are practicing and playing and then where we think they are as far as being ready for the season," Phillips said. "So, it's different for with each player."

Both coach and player want to see lack of mistakes in the game and realize this is the time to come together.

"We are looking forward to this ballgame," Phillips said. "As a team this is important for us to meld our team together in this ballgame and see how we play."

"I just want to see no mistakes," Romo said. "If we don't score a touchdown or don't get a first down - those are results-orientated and that matters most in the regular season.

"In the preseason you want to make sure everyone is doing things the right way versus the right looks. You are trying to evaluate players; that's the basis of the preseason. For us it's about getting into an efficient rhythm that makes you feel very good whenever you step on the field. We've done that at different stages. We just have to go out there and do that this week at a high level."

Top Bottom