superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Republicans in Congress have renewed their decades-old attack on the 40-hour workweek. Once again, they are pushing so-called “comp time” legislation that would allow employers to stop giving workers any extra pay for overtime work.

Ten years ago, the Republican leadership in Congress and the Bush administration tried to pass the exact same legislation, but working families said, “Longer hours for less pay? No way.”

We won that fight in 2003. The “comp time” bill died in the House of Representatives, even though Republicans had a majority.

Now we have to win this fight all over again, because Republican leaders are back to their same old tricks. It seems like every few years working people have to teach them the same lesson: “Do not mess with the 40-hour workweek. Do not cut our overtime!”

Call Congress today and tell your representative to oppose H.R. 1406. To find your senators’ and representative’s phone numbers, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your senators’ and/or representative’s office.

Just like 2003, Republican leaders are dressing up their attack on overtime pay with language about “flexibility” and being “family friendly.” A decade later Republicans are putting the same lipstick on the same pig.

Republicans even have the nerve to call this attack on overtime the “Working Families Flexibility Act” (H.R. 1406). The only flexibility H.R. 1406 would give is the flexibility for employers to not pay overtime.

Here’s why. Right now, your employer has to pay you “time and a half” when you work overtime. Under “comp time” legislation, your employer can pay you nothing up front when you work overtime, then have you take time off sometime in the future. Sure, it’s paid leave, but you would have gotten paid anyway, so you don’t get any extra pay. That means your boss pays less for your overtime work, which means your boss has an economic incentive to demand longer hours.

The Fair Labor Standards Act established the 40-hour week to allow workers to spend more time away from the job—supposedly the goal of H.R. 1406—and to encourage employers to hire enough employees to handle the work. The time-and-a-half pay for work after 40 hours is the incentive for employers to maintain the 40-hour workweek.

The bill’s backers say their goal is to give workers more flexibility for time off, but it very likely could do the opposite by making mandatory overtime work less expensive for employers, in other words keeping workers on the job longer.

Making mandatory overtime cheaper for employers would result in more unpredictable worker schedules and for workers with children, higher day care costs.

While “comp time” gives employers the flexibility to not pay overtime, it does not give any extra flexibility to employees. Current law allows employers to arrange many kinds of different “flexible” work schedules that could benefit both the workers and employer. But most choose not to avail themselves of this flexibility.

In fact, any time off that workers receive under a “comp time” arrangement could already be given, as paid or unpaid leave, under current law.

The comp time bill is “based on smoke and mirrors,” Judith Lichtman, senior adviser for National Partnership for Women and Families (NPWF) told a House Education and Workforce Committee hearing last week.

It pretends to offer the time off people need, when they need it, but in fact, it is a pay cut for workers without any attendant guarantee of time….It is, at best, an empty promise. In truth, it would cause considerably more harm than good…H.R. 1406 would leave workers with neither pay nor time.

Congressional sponsors and the business groups that back the bill portray it as a way for workers to trade their time-and-a-half overtime pay for more than 40 hours a week on the job, for guaranteed unpaid “comp time” to take for family business, ill children, spouses or other or even a kid’s soccer game or school play. But that’s not how it works.

First off, under the bill’s provisions it is effectively up to the boss when a worker would be allowed to use the comp time. The Republican bill gives workers little recourse against employers who continually reject their comp time requests.

The bill also supposedly requires an agreement between the worker and the boss to swap overtime for comp time (quite a cost savings for the employer). But for workers who don’t want to give up their overtime pay—which can be an important part of their earnings—the legislation, said Lichtman, “does not give an employee wishing to remain in her or his employer’s good graces any true ‘choice.’”

If workers refuse to accept comp time in lieu of overtime pay, they put themselves in danger of a pay cut because employers could easily assign overtime work to those who have agreed or been pressured to accept comp time.

The Education and Workforce Committee will vote on the bill later this week and it is scheduled for a full House vote next week.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Eh. I'm salaried. I don't get OT anymore. Comp time? Sort of but nothing formal. My minimum work week is usually 50 hours at least

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Eh. I'm salaried. I don't get OT anymore. Comp time? Sort of but nothing formal. My minimum work week is usually 50 hours at least

Exempt or non-exempt?

This would affect alot of other people.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Punk using an article from the AFL-CIO filled with half truths. Why is it every time you post something (which usually doesn't have a link), it's like having to do homework to get to the bottom of the real issue?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/jobs/INQ_JobbingPart-One-Pros-and-cons-on-comp-time-bill.html

"Under the terms of this bill workers who are entitled to get overtime pay could choose instead to receive compensatory time, and could also choose to bank it -- up to 160 hours a year. With these hours in the "bank," there would be time to care for a family member, or attend school functions, proponents say. Just like overtime compensation, which is paid at a rate of one and a half hours of pay for every hour worked, one and a half hours of time could be set aside for each over time hour worked. And, if the workers later decide they'd rather have the money, all they have to do is ask, and the company must pay it within 30 days. After 80 hours in the bank, the company can decide to pay OT in cash, not time."

Some people have families and would rather have comp time. And I don't see anything in the bill that would require an employee to take comp, as opposed to OT. It's their choice and they could cash the comp time and get the same money they would have if they would have gotten paid OT in the first place. Sure it's got some questions, but it's not all the negative that the AFL-CIO article and Punk would have everyone believe.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Punk using an article from the AFL-CIO filled with half truths. Why is it every time you post something (which usually doesn't have a link), it's like having to do homework to get to the bottom of the real issue?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/jobs/INQ_JobbingPart-One-Pros-and-cons-on-comp-time-bill.html

Some people have families and would rather have comp time. And I don't see anything in the bill that would require an employee to take comp, as opposed to OT. It's their choice and they could cash the comp time and get the same money they would have if they would have gotten paid OT in the first place. Sure it's got some questions, but it's not all the negative that the AFL-CIO article and Punk would have everyone believe.

Thanks for posting the truth.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I don't see the need to have a bill like this. If it's offered by your company, that's cool but if it's not so be it. It just seems like unnecessary intervention. I'm trying to imagine why this would be proposed or who has a problem with their overtime pay as it is.

A couple of things came to mind at first, probably because I've dealt with big and small companies who were fucking scummy.

Is there anything that prohibits companies from simply writing into the new-hire paperwork that all overtime is automatically banked unless otherwise requested? Granted, this would be explained in the new hire paperwork but if you're applying for a relatively crappy job to get you through school or whatever, nobody's gonna read that shit beyond the hourly wage line.

What's to prevent a company from just dropping an employee off the schedule at their own discretion and forcing the comp time at regular wage instead of having to pay time and half? A lot of retail employees aren't actually schedule for full time, they get like 90% so the company can have them cover without going over 40 hours. So you're getting 36 hours per week and say during the holiday season someone quits and pick up 2 shifts. Now you have 12 or so hours banked and after the holiday season your hours get dropped down to 20 hours per week. Gonna take the time and a half and hope you get back to 36 hours? Or gonna just use the comp time? One costs the company more than the other.

What happens for terminated employees? Comp time just out the fucking window? Build up a month of comp time and some small fuck up sends you packing?

Like I said, I worked for some companies that would treat their employees like this while I was getting through school. Mostly shitty jobs where people are replaceable within a couple days.

I could just see big corporations abusing the fuck out of this. Stacking comp hours through the holidays and cutting people loose after it was over, getting free labor.

I just don't see the need for a bill like this. Odds are most decent paying careers already have extended leave of absence's built in.

I thought these were also some decent points.

Under the U.S. Fair Labor Standards Act, overtime must be paid promptly. It's clear-cut and relatively easy to enforce. There's no guarantee that workers banking comp hours will be able to use the time when they need it.

Companies, they say, will be more likely to offer overtime work to employees willing to accept comp time rather than pay. Workers who rely on overtime to make ends meet will face financial challenges.

Requesting comp time means that employees become lenders to employers. A worker earning $14 an hour who banks the maximum amount of hours (160) would be "lending" $2,240 to his employer. What happens if there is a bankruptcy or the business closes?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure there are questions with it Hoof but my point was that it wasn't all negative as the AFL-CIO article would have us think. If I had to guess, it was a well intentioned bill whose goal was to try to be family friendly, especially for female employees. I'm a salary employee so this wouldn't affect me but I do know people who can earn both comp time and OT and they seem to have the system down pat. It's family friendly.

When I first read the article posted by SP, I had a real problem with the compensation but since the comp will be given at the same rate as OT, I think it's pretty fair. But you raise good points. I read the bill on-line and I think it has some employee protection clauses but at the end of the day, the cost of getting a lawyer to get back your time/money (if you're fired) is probably more expensive than the what you're owed by the company in the first place.

Top Bottom