superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One of the NFL’s replacement officials isn’t just adjusting to calling games involving bigger, stronger and faster players. He’s also adjusting to a game with 22 players on the field, instead of 12.

Wayne Bernier has spent the last four weeks alternating between refereeing six-man football games at small Texas high schools and then working preseason games in the NFL. Bernier told the Amarillo Globe-News that it’s not as big a difference as you might think.

“You have seen it on TV and see this big field,” Bernier said. “But you walk in and it’s still a 100-yard field just like out at Dick Bivins Stadium [where Amarillo high school teams play]. There are more people. That’s all.”

Bernier has been training with the NFL since June and said that while he was taken aback by the athletes at first, he’s ready for it now.

“Humbling is what I’d first say I experienced because you are in awe, but you are there to do a job,” Bernier said. “You don’t get star struck. I had a lot to learn. I had to get acclimated to the speed. That’s the difference between any level and the NFL, the speed and size. But one thing is easier. They are so skilled and know how to catch a football. Now, the harder part is they have the chance to learn more technique, and they know how to hold better.”

Despite the widespread criticism that the NFL’s replacement officials have received, Bernier says the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

“You learn they all are human beings,” Bernier said. “They are in this spotlight all the time, but they are just human. And they are class acts, like Andy Reid. We all know he just lost his son, and there is emotion there. And then most of the players have been cordial. You hear every once in a while a ‘Oh, that’s why you are here’ comment. But most of them slap you on the butt and say, ‘Good job.’”

Most fans have wanted to kick the replacement officials in the butt and say, “Bad job” so far this preseason, but whether the fans like it or not, the NFL is about to start its season with refs whose experience comes from levels much, much lower than professional football.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Radio is saying right now that there's going to be an "eye in the sky" ref watching a monitor to prevent any major mistakes and ball-spotting snafus, which they say has been the biggest issue so far.

Oh, and the lead ref tonight is coming from the AFL2 and NAIA football. :noooo

Reaction score
Only in America can a guy ref a Pop Warner game one week and the Super Bowl, the next!

Roger Goodell - helping the under-prepared to achieve their dreams.

Thank you, Roger.

Reaction score
Vikings' Chris Kluwe not high on replacement refs
By Dan Hanzus
Writer
Published: Sept. 5, 2012 at 03:57 p.m. Updated: Sept. 5, 2012 at 04:57 p.m.

A cursory search of the Internet is bound to turn up Chris Kluwe's opinion on something. Wednesday gave us the Minnesota Vikings punter's take on replacement officials.

Will replacement officials be a problem in Week 1? Our analysts provide varied viewpoints on this critical topic. More ...
"The replacement refs are bad. There's no way around it. None!" Kluwe wrote to Deadspin editor Tommy Craggs. "Whether it's the pressure of live television on the sport's largest stage, or just an inability to do the job, these guys are making football increasingly painful to watch as a player, and I'm certain it's just as frustrating for the fans. It's like watching a Lamborghini roll around on eight-inch spare tires. Not good."

More Kluwe goodness:

» "It seems as if, after every call, all 35 refs come sprinting in to discuss the merits of Kafka's '(The) Metamorphosis' as it relates to the economy of Bangladesh, and just when you think they've finally figured it out, they reconvene for Round 2. Then Round 3."

» "I am slightly curious how the TV networks are going to handle eight-hour games. I bet we get cut for 'Heidi.'"

("Heidi," of course, is the TV movie NBC infamously aired over the end of a rollicking Jets-Raiders clash in 1968. This would never happen today.)

» "I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard of coaches berating the replacement refs in other games and getting penalty flags picked up. I'm sure that won't be a problem in a real game, though. I can't picture Belichick or Harbaugh losing his (mind) at a ref if he thought it would give his team a tactical advantage. Totally out of character."

» "They missed a call so badly that the replay official called down from the booth and made them review the play so they could assess a penalty. That's not really allowed in the rulebook, but I guess we're just winging it, at this point."

» "We walked out for a punt, and my long snapper didn't feel like going over to the other hash. What did he do? He told the ref, "No, you have the ball in the wrong place. Move it over here." And what did the ref do? HE MOVED THE BALL. No! Bad ref!"

Replacement officials will debut in games that count when the Dallas Cowboys meet the New York Giants on Wednesday night. No talks are scheduled betweeen the NFL and locked-out officials at this time. Buckle up.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Only in America can a guy ref a Pop Warner game one week and the Super Bowl, the next!

Roger Goodell - helping the under-prepared to achieve their dreams.

Thank you, Roger.

The 1 percenters and Paul Ryan could learn a thing or 2 from Roger Goodell.

Top Bottom