Reaction score
Cards settle on Horton to run defense

Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix reports the Cardinals have settled on Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton as their next defensive coordinator.
Jurecki is a credible source as he's broken Cardinals news in the past. Steelers LBs coach Keith Butler, believed to be Arizona's top choice, was denied permission to interview. While Butler is seen as the eventual successor to Dick LeBeau, Horton has made it clear that he would welcome the opportunity to run his own defense in another locale. Horton stated last week that he's comfortable with the 4-3 or the 3-4 defense, though it seems coach Ken Whisenhunt wants an overhaul to the LeBeau-style 3-4 scheme

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Somebody makes that suggestion every year.

I also wouldn't mind Mark Carrier. Currently the Jets DL coach but he's been a secondary coach most of his coaching career. (Baltimore and Arizona State)

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I also wouldn't mind Mark Carrier. Currently the Jets DL coach but he's been a secondary coach most of his coaching career. (Baltimore and Arizona State)

oh jeez, did Mark Carrier go to USC too??

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He kinda did.

But seriously, he has the look of a rising star. I really like that he moved to DL Coach to get a better grasp of the entire defense.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He kinda did.

But seriously, he has the look of a rising star. I really like that he moved to DL Coach to get a better grasp of the entire defense.

If he could pass on some tips about tackling to Mike Jenkins, I would love that.

63echo

Reaction score
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/02/08/closing-in-on-a-dc/

Closing in on a DC
Posted by Darren Urban on February 8, 2011 – 2:43 pm

It’s amazing, the speed of today’s media and info being thrown out there so quickly in a story such as the Cardinals’ pursuit of a defensive coordinator. There have been twists and turns — and maybe not even “real” twists and turns as much as the appearance of them — but ultimately, things seem to be playing out much like everyone thought for a while.

The Cards asked for permission to interview Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler and secondary coach Ray Horton. Butler permission was denied, but Horton was available. And now, Horton is flying out to Arizona Wednesday. Nothing is official — it’s never done until it’s done — but all signs certainly seem to point toward Horton being the next Cardinals’ defensive coordinator. He worked with coach Ken Whisenhunt for three seasons in Pittsburgh, and he knows well the 3-4 Steelers defense that Dick LeBeau has built (and used as Bengals’ head coach while Horton was coaching there too).

Everything I have heard is that Horton is a smart coach and with 16 years of coaching experience. And we will see, if Horton is the guy, how this turns out. It doesn’t hurt that Horton played in the NFL for 10 years — to me, that will impact (the right way) relationships with guys like Darnell Dockett and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

I guess that La Canfora premature ejacutweet started the "Horton to Cowboys" ball rolling on NFLN Sirius. Not a done deal yet so I'm still holding out hope that Horton finds his way to Dallas, but it's looking grim.

Top Bottom