Reaction score
Getty Images
Randy Gregory is easily one of the top defensive prospects in this year’s draft class. Gregory, a standout defensive end from Nebraska, views himself so highly as a prospect that he believes he’s worthy of the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

However, failing a drug test at the NFL Combine won’t help his status.

In an interview with Kim Jones of the NFL Network, Gregory admitted that he tested positive for marijuana at the event in late February in Indianapolis.

“I blame myself,” Gregory said. “And I know it sounds cliché, but there’s really no one else I can blame.”

The combine has set dates. All the participants know when it is. And yet, somehow players still occasionally fail the drug tests they know await them in Indy.

Gregory says he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December and yet still tested positive because of how high his THC levels were.

Seriously.

That seems incredibly far-fetched. A highly trained athlete preparing for the combine, working out several times a week in the lead-up to the event, having not smoked marijuana in close to two months and still tests positive? Not sure I buy that one.

Now Gregory will be in the league’s drug system, which means he’ll be tested for recreational drugs more frequently and will be much closer to a potential suspension in the future.

It could have an effect on how early Gregory is drafted next month.

Gregory is an intriguing pass rushing prospect and his skills will still lead to him being selected early in the draft. However, if Gregory cannot control his off-field decisions, he could find himself following Josh Gordon’s footsteps in the future.

Reaction score
Per Rob Rang

@RobRang: The issue with Gregory isn't a single failed test for marijuana. Some teams will brush that off. Ive been told there are "several" red flags

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Let him fall to 27.

I'm not sure I take him.

I was never high on him anyway. Preferred Fowler. I think Gregory, even without the pot issues, has high bust potential.

He's 6'5 and weighs 235. He'll have to add weight and then what does that do to his "bend" that scouts talk about. There's potential he gets stiff with the weight gain and loses some of that. Not to mention, watch clips of him on YouTube. He's slow off the line.

Everything I read or seen of him says 3-4 LB. Not a 4-3 end. At least not full time.

Now throw in the fact that during the most crucial time of his life he smokes... I don't care about the weed. Poor decision making is what I see. And he has a history of it. Major red flag.

Top Bottom