C

Cr122

Cowboys skeptical about latest reports on Favre
By Tom Orsborn - Express-News

Web Posted: 08/04/2010 12:00 CDT

While the news that Brett Favre reportedly won’t return to the Vikings shook up Minnesota on Tuesday, it was business as usual at the Alamodome.

The Dallas Cowboys visit the Vikings on Oct. 17 in a game that’s expected to have playoff seeding implications, but several players aren’t convinced Favre, 40, is actually retiring.

“Is that news?” receiver Patrick Crayton said with a smirk. “It’s every year. It’s like Groundhog Day with him, isn’t it?

“I’m not buying it at all, man. They still got what, a month left in training camp? Give him about a week and a half. He’ll change his mind.”

Even Wade Phillips rolled his eyes.

“I’m wondering, is that news? If a guy says Brett Favre may retire? I don’t know,” the coach said half-joking. “Somebody asked me about it, and I said, ‘Again?’ We’ll see.”

It’s not surprising the Cowboys greeted reports of Favre’s retirement with skepticism.

He told the Vikings last year he was finished but changed his mind and joined them after they broke camp.

He also made retirement announcements in 2008 with Green Bay and in 2009 with the New York Jets. Both times he flip-flopped his way back into the huddle.

Speculation that another reversal could be forthcoming increased after Fox’s Jay Glazer reported Tuesday afternoon the Vikings are prepared to offer more money to Favre, who is set to earn $13 million if he plays, and more time to join the team.

But what if this retirement sticks? Would it mean the Cowboys can strut into the Metrodome and easily avenge last season’s 34-3 loss to the Vikings in the divisional round? Would it drastically change the landscape in the NFC, where the Cowboys are among the favorites?

“I don’t think it makes it easier for us at all,” Crayton said. “I think it puts Minnesota in a bind. But they’ve got a quarterback in, what’s his name, (Sage) Rosenfels, and Tarvaris Jackson. They’ll have to depend on those guys.”

With Favre throwing for 33 touchdowns and a career-low seven interceptions, the Vikings advanced to the NFC championship game last season, where they lost in overtime to New Orleans. He injured his left ankle in that game and had surgery in May.

On Tuesday, several media outlets reported Favre had informed the team his ankle didn’t respond to the surgery. If he doesn’t return, Rosenfels and Jackson would fight it out for the starting quarterback job.

Either way, the Cowboys say they wouldn’t take Minnesota lightly.

“Minnesota has an awfully good team. We saw that last year,” Phillips said. “The quarterback was important in that, as all quarterbacks are, especially when they get to that point. But they have a lot of good players and are awfully tough at home. They were undefeated there last year. They played really good defense. I don’t know that it would change a whole lot.”

Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware agreed.

“I don’t know if it would change the (NFC) race or not,” Ware said. “They have a really good team and a lot of good players. They’ll make up for the slack.”

Quarterback Tony Romo said his only concern is the Cowboys.

“We’re worried about us getting better out there,” he said. “Minnesota’s going to be a good ballclub.”

Romo heaped praise on Favre after hearing the news about his boyhood idol.

“I think from anybody’s perspective — you guys, fans or even players — you can’t help but appreciate the way he plays the game and his talent and his ability and the level at which he played for such a long time,” Romo said.

“I haven’t heard anything. But if this is the case, he deserves every accolade there is.”

Linebacker Bradie James took a different approach.

“Brett Favre? I really don’t care,” he said. “I wrote my Favre speech (about) his retirement three years ago. I need to pull it out again. I keep saying it every year. I really don’t care.”

Top Bottom