Reaction score
Odell Beckham Jr.: Teammates didn't have my back against Carolina Panthers
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
By: Dan Benton | July 21, 2016 1:06 pm ET

By now, what transpired between the New York Giants and Carolina Panthers in Week 15 of last season is a matter of public record.

From the pregame intimidation tactics to the on-field skirmishes between wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and then-Panthers cornerback Josh Norman, the events of that day have been beaten like a dead horse. However, in recent days it’s become clear that Beckham Jr. isn’t over it just yet.

In addition to his comments on Norman, who Beckham Jr. takes credit for making famous, the 2014 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year is now taking subtle aim at his teammates.

“There weren’t a lot of people who, so to say, had my back during that game, that’s for sure. In my opinion,” Beckham Jr. told GQ Magazine. “Their team was up, 35–7. And I’m competitive. I don’t like to lose. We’re sitting there, and people are thinking about what we’re doing after the game.”

Although Beckham Jr. helped lead the Giants back from their 35-7 deficit, including a late-game touchdown over the aforementioned Josh Norman, Big Blue would go on to lose the game by a score of 38-35.

After the game, the debate focused not on the team’s performance, but what was alleged to be the mishandling of Beckham Jr. and his emotions.

Ultimately, Beckham Jr. was forced to shoulder the blame for the entire situation; something he did with relative silence until now.

How this will reverberate in the Giants’ locker-room remains to be seen, but in all likelihood, these are grievances that have already been aired out. Still, it is somewhat strange for Beckham Jr. to share these feelings in the same breath as essentially predicting a Super Bowl LI victory.

If nothing else, Beckham Jr. is entertaining and engaging. He’s not afraid to speak his mind no matter the topic, and there’s something to be said for that. Many may not like it, but OBJ isn’t here to make friends . . . . he’s here to win football games.

Top Bottom