JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

The results of a classified Defense Intelligence Agency report indicate that “North Korea now has nuclear weapons capable of delivery by ballistic missiles.”

That was the bombshell out of a House Armed Services Committee hearing Thursday.

It came when Rep. Doug Lamborn (R) of Colorado began quoting from what he said was an unclassified version of the DIA report, which has not yet been made public.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey, the nation’s top military officer, appeared caught off-guard. The Pentagon has in recent days sought to strike a balance between words of warning to the North and attempts to calm the situation. General Dempsey's reaction suggested that he was not pleased to have the DIA assessment made public, as it could further stoke anxieties over what is already a enormously tense international standoff.

Representative Lamborn read from the report toward the end of a defense budget hearing.

“They say, ‘DIA assess with moderate confidence the North currently has nuclear weapons capable of delivery by ballistic missiles. General, would you agree with that assessment by DIA?” he asked.

“I can’t touch that one,” Dempsey answered.

The problem was that the report hasn’t been released, he said. “Some of it’s classified, some of it’s unclassified.”

Lamborn tried asking the question again, heedless of the sensitivity of the topic. “This is public; this is unclassified, so I can make it public.”

“And your question is do I agree with the DIA’s assessment?” Dempsey repeated.

“Yes,” Lamborn responded.

“Well,” Dempsey answered, “You said it’s not publicly released, so I choose not to comment on it.”

Only a day ago, Dempsey told reporters during a Pentagon briefing that “the proximity of the North Koreans to achieving a miniaturization of a nuclear device on a ballistic missile ... is a classified matter.”

If North Korea does have nuclear-armed missiles, it could strike South Korea, Japan, or US forces in Japan. It could perhaps also hit Guam, but Hawaii and the mainland US are out of the North's missile range, according to US intelligence estimates.

North Korea is expected to launch a missile soon as a show of defiance against the West. The administration said Thursday there is no indication that the missiles readied for launch are nuclear-armed, media reports said.

The exchange between Lamborn and Dempsey was not the only enlightening information about North Korea to emerge from Capitol HIll Thursday. At a different hearing, senior US intelligence officials were sharing some of the most telling details yet to emerge about the personality and motivations of the North's new young leader, Kim Jong-un.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Milita...lear-missiles?nav=87-frontpage-entryLeadStory

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
They also said Iraq had WMDs.

We all know how that turned out.

Umm...They did. We sold the weapons to them. I think someone in the gov should have a journal entry somewhere about it. Maybe you forgot about when he gassed his own people.

Maybe you missed it when Clinton and every major world leader including Sadam himself said he did.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Neither was our intelligence, but don't get me wrong I'm glad we invaded them. All of these uprisings wouldn't be happening in the Middle East IMO.

I'm just saying I don't trust our intelligence.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Agreed on the "intelligence". Getting good info is challenging when you are not allowed to converse with questionable characters. I wish they had not tied the hands of intelligence community regarding foreign threats.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They also said Iraq had WMDs.

We all know how that turned out.

Well we aren't guessing about NK having them. We know they do. It's just a matter of how small they are, and if they don't have miniaturized ones right now, it's only a matter of time until they do.

Same thing on the range of their missiles. Maybe they can't reach us now, but they soon will be able to.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

If they are acting as China's pawn,it could be serious.
If they aren't acting for China,as China claims,the Chinese may kill their asses first.
Other than that who knows.
I do know having an immoral nut job controlling a nuclear arsenal can't be good.
You may apply that last statement to any nuclear power you see fit.

Top Bottom