Reaction score
NFL mock draft: Panthers should go with Dareus at No. 1

The Carolina Panthers could go in many directions at with the 2011 NFL draft's No. 1 pick -- quarterback, defensive end or defensive tackle make sense, but cornerback or wide receiver wouldn't be crazy, either -- and the ripples will reverberate thereafter.

There obviously are a lot holes in any 2-14 team, and the Panthers' most glaring need is at quarterback. There is sure to be a lot of debate at team headquarters about whether Missouri's Blaine Gabbert or Auburn's Cam Newton merits the top pick. If it's one or the other, we think it would be Gabbert. Unless there is a true consensus about a quarterback, any team should pass and address another position.

That's why we think the Panthers will not draft a quarterback at No. 1 and instead take the most "pro ready" player -- Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus. He's the safe pick.

Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley have more upside, but there are concerns about Bowers' knee and Fairley needs work on his technique before he will make an impact in the NFL.

Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green and LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson are gifted players and merit consideration, too. Panthers officials, however, have seen firsthand that having a great receiver is not enough to carry an offense and any cornerback is only as productive as his pass rush and Carolina's pass rush was a problem in 2010.

In the end, the decision likely will come down to Gabbert or Dareus. Considering the Panthers already have three young quarterbacks on the roster, Dareus should get the call on April 28.

Projected first-round picks
Pk., team: player, pos., school

1. Carolina Panthers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

2. Denver Broncos: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

3. Buffalo Bills: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

6. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

7. San Francisco 49ers: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

9. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

10. Washington Redskins: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

12. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

13. Detroit Lions: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pitt

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland): Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

18. San Diego Chargers: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

19. New York Giants: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyron Smith, OT, USC

22. Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

24. New Orleans Saints: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

25. Seattle Seahawks: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

26. Baltimore Ravens: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

27. Atlanta Falcons: Mike Pouncey, C, Florida

28. New England Patriots: Danny Watkins, G, Baylor

29. Chicago Bears: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

30. New York Jets: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

32. Green Bay Packers: Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...s-should-go-with-dareus-at-no-1#ixzz1HNxduVVK

C

Cr122

After I heard Peterson won't play safety and just corner, I want no part of him.

I'd rather draft Tyron Smith at 9 or a DE.

Reaction score
I think when you have the #1 pick, DT is a position that warrants strong consideration, along with QB, DE, and OT.

But I don't think Dareus is #1 pick in the draft good.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
After I heard Peterson won't play safety and just corner, I want no part of him.

I'd rather draft Tyron Smith at 9 or a DE.

Funny, I had read much earlier that he said that he would play safety if that was an option, Amukamara had said the same thing. But I said as much awhile back, that I could see Peterson falling to the Cowboys. Most mocks had him going to the Cardinals but moreso of late to the 49ers. I said that it would make more sense for the 49ers to go after Quinn and line him up next to Willis, that would be a very badass partial LB corp.

But I'm with you, if he doesn't want to play safety, then give me Tyron Smith. Maybe we could trade down and get that #33 pick from the Patriots, I'm sure they would be intrigued with a potential CB tandem of Peterson and McCourtey. But it would be nice to have a secondary that consisted of Huff and Peterson at the safeties and our CBs.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think when you have the #1 pick, DT is a position that warrants strong consideration, along with QB, DE, and OT.

But I don't think Dareus is #1 pick in the draft good.

I think he's a better prospect at that slot/pick than any of the QBs in this draft.

Reaction score
I think he's a better prospect at that slot/pick than any of the QBs in this draft.

I agree with that. Ultimately, I think either Bowers, Green, or Fairley should be the #1 pick.

I normally don't advocate taking a receiver #1 overall, but Green is good enough to warrant the selection IMO.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
If I'm the Panthers I'm taking Gabbert or trading down. I think Gabbert is right there with the rest of the top players in this draft and the need at QB for the Panthers is above all other positions.

If they don't feel Gabbert is the guy then trade down and try to recoup that 2nd or possibly more picks/players. There's not much more of a difference IMO between Fairley or Dareus, Quinn or Bowers, Green or Jones. The same player can be had a few picks later while also adding more selections later in the draft.

C

Cr122

Funny, I had read much earlier that he said that he would play safety if that was an option, Amukamara had said the same thing. But I said as much awhile back, that I could see Peterson falling to the Cowboys. Most mocks had him going to the Cardinals but moreso of late to the 49ers. I said that it would make more sense for the 49ers to go after Quinn and line him up next to Willis, that would be a very badass partial LB corp.

But I'm with you, if he doesn't want to play safety, then give me Tyron Smith. Maybe we could trade down and get that #33 pick from the Patriots, I'm sure they would be intrigued with a potential CB tandem of Peterson and McCourtey. But it would be nice to have a secondary that consisted of Huff and Peterson at the safeties and our CBs.

I never heard or read Peterson saying he would play safety. If you find an article post it, because I must of missed it.

C

Cr122

If I'm the Panthers I'm taking Gabbert or trading down. I think Gabbert is right there with the rest of the top players in this draft and the need at QB for the Panthers is above all other positions.

If they don't feel Gabbert is the guy then trade down and try to recoup that 2nd or possibly more picks/players. There's not much more of a difference IMO between Fairley or Dareus, Quinn or Bowers, Green or Jones. The same player can be had a few picks later while also adding more selections later in the draft.

Absolutely, if they aren't sure Claussen is their future, Gabbert should be their pick.

But if they think Claussen is the man, then they need to take Dareus or Peterson.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I never heard or read Peterson saying he would play safety. If you find an article post it, because I must of missed it.

He says it but doesn't come across as to enthused about the idea.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2011-03-10-peterson-profile_N.htm

LSU's Patrick Peterson could be first cornerback drafted No. 1
By Nate Davis, USA TODAYUpdated 3/11/2011 9:39:02 PM

LSU's Patrick Peterson might force the Carolina Panthers to break that trend next month, whether they enlist him to play his customary cornerback spot or shift him to safety.

"I hope I can be in play for the first pick," Peterson said.

"The Panthers have the final say-so. It doesn't matter what I think, what I have to say about it. It's truly an honor and a blessing to be in this position anyway. I'm just going to continue taking one thing at a time and waiting for April 28 and see what that day brings me."

That day seems sure to bring one lucky NFL team a spectacular football player.

Peterson won the Chuck Bednarik Award (best defensive player in college football), the Jim Thorpe Award (best defensive back) and was named the Southeastern Conference's top defender and special-teams player in 2010. After stockpiling all that hardware, he opted to skip his senior season to see what his NFL draft stock was worth.

He's now rated as the 2011 draft's top prospect, according to NFLDraftScout.com, USA TODAY's scouting service.

"He should be a consideration (at No. 1)," NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang says. "The CBA stuff could potentially allow Carolina to pick him No. 1 if they so choose. Typically you can't put that kind of money into a cornerback. But if they (implement a rookie wage scale), you can take the best player at No. 1, especially as the NFL becomes more passer-focused."

New Panthers coach Ron Rivera won't say if Peterson is on Carolina's radar, only offering "between seven and 10 guys" have been targeted by the team.

Peterson hopes whoever targets him won't feel compelled to quickly move him to safety despite his 6-foot, 219-pound frame.

"I feel my best game is at cornerback," he says. "If an NFL team needs me to play the safety position, I'm definitely more than willing to transition my game to the safety position."As recently as the scouting combine, though, that issue hadn't cropped up.

"(Teams) haven't come to me about changing positions to safety, but if it so happens, then I'll just have to live with it," he said.

USA TODAY's defensive player of the year in 2007 as a prep at Ely (Pompano Beach, Fla.) High School, Peterson made life tough on SEC quarterbacks, picking off seven passes as a three-year starter even though he wasn't challenged that often. But the conference did offer a valuable NFL apprenticeship as he regularly locked up with players such as Georgia's A.J. Green and Alabama's Julio Jones, widely regarded as the top two wideout prospects in the draft and possible top-10 selections.

"In the NFL, it's the Joneses and Greens each and every Sunday," says Peterson, who faced the duo five times.

"Those guys definitely helped me elevate my game to the next level each and every time we played."

And given his experience and success against such talents, Peterson isn't buying the notion he might eventually (or already) be too big to handle NFL wideouts.

"I feel pretty swift the way I am. I feel fast, I feel quick. I feel more fluid at the weight I am right now," he says.

"I don't want to go out there and try to kill myself trying to lose weight because I have very little body fat (7%). I believe I'm good at the weight I'm at right now."

And what about comparisons to former Ohio State cornerback and 2009 first-rounder Malcolm Jenkins, who blossomed in 2010 after switching to free safety?

"I don't think it is valid," Rang says. "He's been beaten by very small, quick receivers, DeSean Jackson kind of guys. I think that Peterson has a different blend of athleticism than most people give him credit for.

"I'd be stunned if he winds up being a safety in the NFL, at least early in his career."

Rang thinks the consensus All-American might simply be a victim of his own success.

"He's one of those guys who was so good in college, they're starting to nitpick him now," he says.

"I've watched him for three years be the best player on the field."

That's partially because Peterson thrives at press coverage, has excellent ball skills, can cover receivers outside or in the slot and is effective in run support.

"I'm an all-around cornerback, and that's what I wanted to do coming out of college. I definitely want to continue that trend going into the NFL," says Peterson, who is related to NFL alums Bryant and Walter McFadden and Santana and Sinorice Moss.

But it's Peterson's ability as a returner that might force the Panthers (or someone else in the draft's top five) to pull the trigger on him early.

"That's definitely something I want to pursue at the next level," Peterson said recently on NFL Network, referring to the double duties.

"Deion Sanders did it."

Deployed to field kicks and punts for the first time in his college career in 2010, Peterson ranked fourth in the SEC in all-purpose yardage (116.9 yards a game), even though he was never used offensively. He averaged 16.1 yards per punt return, scoring twice, and brought kickoffs back an average of 29.3 yards.

And this is one facet of Peterson's game where he thinks his sturdy build helps him.

"Hard to tackle me. I won't come down on one shot — hopefully," he says.

"But these guys are definitely bigger and faster in the NFL. That's the main reason I put on a little bit more weight."

Though some scouts consider him the least-flawed player on the board, Peterson also is doing plenty of self-scouting.

"I want to work on my zone coverage," he says. "We barely did that at LSU. A lot of people are saying I can't backpedal and things like that, but I definitely can.

"I definitely want to show the media, all you guys, that I can backpedal and change direction as well."

Sanders, who scouted Peterson while covering the combine for NFL Network, said Peterson was far more fluid than he thought possible for such a big man.

Nebraska's Prince Amukamara, probably the best cornerback in the draft not named Peterson, endorses all the hype surrounding his peer and understands why Peterson might end up being the top pick.

"Patrick Peterson is an amazing player," Amukamara says.

"Whatever attention or notoriety he's getting, he deserves it."

sbk92

Reaction score
I saw an interview he did with NFLN where he said he'd play safety, but down the road. He wants to play corner first.

It doesn't matter to me. Any player who tells you where he wants to play should be taken off your draft board. The right answer is anywhere the coaches want me.

Somewhere along the line somebody told the players they're more important than they are.

Top Bottom