Reaction score
IRVING -- Jason Garrett preaches to his players about the need to live in the moment.

Here's the dilemma: When the moment finds you mired in a six-game losing streak that threatens to submarine your aspirations, when fight and resilience and character become hollow catchphrases that fail to yield success, it's human nature to doubt.

What then?

"That's the challenge,'' the Cowboys' head coach said. "Oftentimes this happens in your professional life, but sometimes it happens in your personal life when you feel like you're doing things the right way and you don't get the result that you need.

"You can call it whatever you want to call -- if it's faith -- but you've just got to keep going. You've got to keep banging away. You've got to keep doing things the right way.''

The right way so far has left the Cowboys with the NFL's longest active losing streak. They are one of only six teams saddled with two or fewer wins and are planted at the bottom of the NFC East.

Garrett will address the state of the Cowboys when the players return to work Tuesday morning at Valley Ranch. But he won't dwell on where they are or what else is taking place in the division.

The focus will be on the details that need to be cleaned up on offense, on defense and in the kicking game. An emphasis is placed on learning and correction.

That's all by the book. But again, other than the troubles that face others in the division, what gives the Cowboys hope?

"How we play,'' Garrett said. "How matters. How we practice and how we play matters.

"We emphasize that to our team a lot. We believe if you play the right way over time, you're going to get the results you want.''

This is not the start anyone in the organization envisioned. Defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford concedes the frustration level is "about as high as you think it is.''

Fight is something Garrett comes back to time and time again. But there's more to success. The coaching staff must give the players the game plan to excel. The players must execute and rise to the occasion when there is an opportunity to make a game-altering play.

When a losing streak extends this long, all sides are at fault.

"We've got a lot of work to do,'' tight end Jason Witten said. "Our focus has to be that we have to get a win. Take it one week at a time and get a win.

"We're behind the 8-ball a little bit. We've just got to make the plays that allow us to win. It's a total team effort.''

Cornerback Brandon Carr pointed out the team is "still clocking in every day,'' retains a positive attitude and has half the season to play.

Backup quarterback Matt Cassel, expected to make his final start in place of the injured Tony Romo this weekend at Tampa Bay, echoes that opinion.

"Adversity brings out character in everybody,'' Cassel said. "I think the way that these guys respond and continue to come out and play, there is not one person who is sitting out there feeling sorry for themselves.

"We do have eight games left. The season is not over by any means. As a professional you get paid to go out and do a job, and our job is to go out and compete at the highest level each and every week and figure out a way to win.

"There is half a season left. I hate standing up here every week and saying that, but it's the truth.''

Here's one more truth: Cincinnati made the playoffs in 1970 after starting the season 2-6. It's the only time since the AFL-NFL merger in that season that a team has climbed out of that hole to make the postseason.

You can call that whatever you want as Garrett strives to prevent a "woe is me'' attitude to grip this team.

"Yeah, that doesn't exist here with the Dallas Cowboys,'' Garrett said. "It really doesn't exist in the National Football League. Nobody feels sorry for you.

"We have to learn from this tape. We have got to get our eyes forward and get ready for the next challenge."

Catch David Moore on The Ticket (KTCK-AM 1310 and 96.7 FM) with The Musers at 9:35 a.m. every Monday and Friday and The Hardline at 4:10 p.m. every Tuesday and Friday during the season.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
You've got to keep doing things the right way.'

How long before results prove you're not doing things the right way? :lol
I mean if the absence of 1 single player results in an 0-6 record, you're doing something dreadfully wrong. Something about eggs and one basket comes to mind.

Reaction score
Sorry, But We're Not Buying Garrett's Sunshine in the Midst of a Storm

By Richie Whitt

It’s Mopey Monday, so let’s play a fun game to lighten the mood.

I’ll give you a quote from the NFL on Sunday, and you attempt to name the head coach that said it. Got it?

“I thought we battled really well over the course of these last six games. We’ve done a lot of good things. I love how our team plays. We scratch. We claw. We fight, really in all aspects of our football team.”

Maybe you guessed Bill Belichick? His Patriots, of course, are undefeated over the last six games and are 8-0 for the season. But nope. Guess again.

Marvin Lewis? Or Ron Rivera? Their teams are also 8-0, and have surely been impressive the last month and a half. Incorrect. Keep trying.

Gotta be Mike Zimmer then, right? Wrong. Despite his surprising Vikings winning four in-a-row to climb to 6-2, he didn’t spew that sunshine Sunday.

So who did? It was, in fact, the head coach of the NFL’s most disappointing team. One that hasn’t won a single game the last six weeks. One that has its longest losing streak since Troy Aikman was a rookie. One that goes by the name of the Dallas Cowboys.

Yep, in the wake of another loss in which his team made mind-numbing mental blunders and catastrophic physical gaffes in another heart-breaking loss, Jason Garrett actually said … well, let’s revisit the classic quote.

“I thought we battled really well over the course of these last six games. We’ve done a lot of good things. I love how our team plays. We scratch. We claw. We fight, really in all aspects of our football team.”

Battled really well. Done good things. Love how our team plays. And, oh by the way, we were a pre-season Super Bowl pick that has now lost six straight games and played our way right out of the season. At the halfway point only the Lions have fewer wins than the Cowboys.

Look, I know the team is handicapped by Tony Romo’s absence. But backup quarterbacks – using scaled-down game plans – win NFL games every Sunday. Right, Landry Jones? The Cowboys last night essentially got a 300-yard quarterback who threw three touchdowns, a 100-yard running back, two 100-yard receivers, scored 27 points, at home … and still lost. They got a lucky Hail Mary to Dez Bryant. They got several friendly calls from referees late in the game. They even got a fortunate carom off an upright for a field goal to force overtime.

You get all that, yet still lose. You’re now 2-6 and out of the playoff picture. When Romo comes back Nov. 22 he’ll have zero room for error. He’ll have to go 7-0 and the Cowboys would still need a lot of help to make the postseason.

I know Garrett’s a calm guy and a positive leader. And I don’t need to see him throwing clipboards and snapping headsets. But his post-game press conference last night at AT&T Stadium was nauseating. Effusively patting players on the back after a sixth straight loss is just insulting to the Cowboys’ fan base. It yanked me back to their ’07 home playoff loss to the Giants, after which Wade Phillips said, “Well, I’m proud that we made it to the final four in the NFC.”

Garrett is the head coach of America’s Team, not some volunteer parent handing out participation plaques and orange wedges to a 5-year-old's soccer team.

The Cowboys have gotten bad breaks this season. And, I’m sorry, they’ve only received the wrong type of coaching.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett is the head coach of America’s Team, not some volunteer parent handing out participation plaques and orange wedges to a 5-year-old's soccer team.

Very nice, and now my signature at the Zone.

Last edited:

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Sorry, But We're Not Buying Garrett's Sunshine in the Midst of a Storm

By Richie Whitt

It’s Mopey Monday, so let’s play a fun game to lighten the mood.

I’ll give you a quote from the NFL on Sunday, and you attempt to name the head coach that said it. Got it?

Maybe you guessed Bill Belichick? His Patriots, of course, are undefeated over the last six games and are 8-0 for the season. But nope. Guess again.

Marvin Lewis? Or Ron Rivera? Their teams are also 8-0, and have surely been impressive the last month and a half. Incorrect. Keep trying.

Gotta be Mike Zimmer then, right? Wrong. Despite his surprising Vikings winning four in-a-row to climb to 6-2, he didn’t spew that sunshine Sunday.

So who did? It was, in fact, the head coach of the NFL’s most disappointing team. One that hasn’t won a single game the last six weeks. One that has its longest losing streak since Troy Aikman was a rookie. One that goes by the name of the Dallas Cowboys.

Yep, in the wake of another loss in which his team made mind-numbing mental blunders and catastrophic physical gaffes in another heart-breaking loss, Jason Garrett actually said … well, let’s revisit the classic quote.

Battled really well. Done good things. Love how our team plays. And, oh by the way, we were a pre-season Super Bowl pick that has now lost six straight games and played our way right out of the season. At the halfway point only the Lions have fewer wins than the Cowboys.

Look, I know the team is handicapped by Tony Romo’s absence. But backup quarterbacks – using scaled-down game plans – win NFL games every Sunday. Right, Landry Jones? The Cowboys last night essentially got a 300-yard quarterback who threw three touchdowns, a 100-yard running back, two 100-yard receivers, scored 27 points, at home … and still lost. They got a lucky Hail Mary to Dez Bryant. They got several friendly calls from referees late in the game. They even got a fortunate carom off an upright for a field goal to force overtime.

You get all that, yet still lose. You’re now 2-6 and out of the playoff picture. When Romo comes back Nov. 22 he’ll have zero room for error. He’ll have to go 7-0 and the Cowboys would still need a lot of help to make the postseason.

I know Garrett’s a calm guy and a positive leader. And I don’t need to see him throwing clipboards and snapping headsets. But his post-game press conference last night at AT&T Stadium was nauseating. Effusively patting players on the back after a sixth straight loss is just insulting to the Cowboys’ fan base. It yanked me back to their ’07 home playoff loss to the Giants, after which Wade Phillips said, “Well, I’m proud that we made it to the final four in the NFC.”

The Cowboys have gotten bad breaks this season. And, I’m sorry, they’ve only received the wrong type of coaching.

Richie Whitt has always been a hater. Didja see him write this last year! HunH? HunH? [/blind homer]

Top Bottom