C

Cr122

Moore: Roy Williams cheered instead of booed; Miles Austin contract prediction

12:11 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dallas Morning News writer David Moore answered your Cowboys questions during practice Tuesday. Join our writers during each Cowboys camp practice this month. Some highlights of the chat:

On Roy Williams: Roy Williams just shown on the digital board and the crowd cheered. That has to be a nice change for Williams from San Antonio, where he got booed every time he was unable to catch a pass -- even those that were overthrown. ... If Williams is unable to improve his rapport during the time Bryant is out, it will be harder for him to establish that connection with Romo when Bryant returns.

On Stephen Bowen: Bowen was a "terror," Wade Phillps said. it was in his role of nickel pass rusher. Still believe the job belongs to Spears. But if Bowen keeps playing the way he did against the Bengals, it's not out of the question that he could move ahead of Spears. Still don't think it will happen, but Spears can't afford to be out too long. Bowen is working with the first team defense this week in Spears' absence. Hatcher worked there last week

What do you think Miles Austin has to do to earn a new contract during the season? This is a tough one. Do you give a guy long-term security off of one season with an uncertain labor future? Nothing will happen soon. If Austin does sign, it will be like DeMarcus Ware last year. It will come during the season. The Cowboys want to see if Austin can build on what he put in place last season. The deal is also complicated by Roy Williams contract. Midseason isn't a bad guess.

Reaction score
I was proud to see Bowen going out there and showing a little something...same goes for Butler and most of the young LB's

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm glad we didn't resign Austin yet. Why pay off of one year when you don't have to?

Reaction score
I'm glad we didn't resign Austin yet. Why pay off of one year when you don't have to?

As ridiculous as it might sound . . . he's actually our most tradeable receiver right now.

Not that I'd want to . . . just sayin'.

To me, the only benefit of paying him now would be to frontload the contract in the no-cap year. But with not knowing what the future holds, I wouldn't even do that.

sbk92

Reaction score
But next year, he's probably the starter. If he keeps playing this way I don't think the Cowboys will consider it much of a need. Just get some depth behind him.

C

Cr122

I doubt it will happen.

They'll go with Spears on 1st and 2nd down if only to keep Bowen fresher for 3rd downs.

Yeah, I'm not ready to replace Spears completely with Bowen.

For the short haul until Spears comes back, yes. We need Spears run stuffing ability if we are going to make a run at the Super Bowl.

C

Cr122

I truly believe Austin will get paid sometime during this season.

As long as he continues to improve, Jerry will pay him.

Top Bottom