C

Cr122

Moore: Jerry Jones has never drafted offensive linemen early - don't expect that to change soon

11:21 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Cowboys writer David Moore chatted with readers Monday afternoon about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights from the chat:

Adam C asks: Dallas considered trading up to draft Guard Mike Iupati last year in the draft which leads you to think they may draft a guard in the 2011 draft like C/G Mike Pouncey. If they do, who do you think he replaces in the starting line-up or would he just begin his career as a backup?

David Moore: This club has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round with Jerry Jones as the owner. I don't know why they would start next season. I think Jones prefers to put his money into the skill positions and is reluctant to take an offensive linemen in the first because it would disrupt the financial pecking order of a veteran line.

Now, that could change with a new collective bargaining agreement. If there is a rookie wage scale, maybe Jones would be more willing to pull the trigger on an offensive linemen in the first round.

Brent asks: At this point, if Colombo can't start the opener, who gets the nod? Barron or Brewster?

David Moore: Barron should return to practice this week. He would start in Colombo's place. The Cowboys were pleased with what they saw of Brewster against the Chargers, but Barron has been a starter in this league. The Cowboys will go with him.

Frank asks: Who do you believe will make the final roster: Saivii or Brent?

David Moore: There has been a buzz about Brent in this camp and he likely has a greater upside. But Siavii has played really well. I would lean toward Brent, but don't dismiss Siavii just yet.

The Swami asks: Dave, we set a record high temperature for Aug. 22nd (Wheh). I agree with the running game not getting the necessary work and considering Dallas doesn't have the physical contact in practice like some teams, this only adds to the lack of preparation.

David Moore: This is one of those arguments that will never be resolved. Should you be more physical in practice to get the players ready for regular season games, or do you risk wearing them down and injury? You can argue that the Cowboys aren't that physical with how they practice, yet still they lost two starters to injury.

If this team looks like it does not in Week One, I'll agreed it's not prepared. But that game is nearly three weeks ago. The Cowboys are building to that point. I don't think they should be judged by an opening day standard yet.

To read the rest of the chat, click here.

• • •

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Before Dez Bryant, had Jerry drafted a WR early as in the first round? NO. I know he drafted Jimmy Smith in the 2nd I believe, but that was it. So I do not see how it's so cut and dry that they will not draft an Olineman early. As far as I am concerned, we need an Olineman from eithe rof the first two picks.

sbk92

Reaction score
Before Dez Bryant, had Jerry drafted a WR early as in the first round? NO. I know he drafted Jimmy Smith in the 2nd I believe, but that was it. So I do not see how it's so cut and dry that they will not draft an Olineman early. As far as I am concerned, we need an Olineman from eithe rof the first two picks.

I agree. I think he may have had that approach years ago but post-Parcells he's more of a draft to your board guy.

We were really interested in Iupati in this draft. If it was him instead of Bryant left in those top 3 targets we had going in, he'd be a Cowboy right now and this article wouldn't be written.

I'd love to get an offensive lineman or two in the first two rounds. But only if the value is there.

Top Bottom