sbk92

Reaction score
Carl Moritz
Sporting News

The Jacksonville Jaguars decided not to tender WR Mike Sims-Walker, cutting ties with a player who was a productive starter the past two years.

According to the Florida Times-Union, G.M. Gene Smith told Sims-Walker he would not be coming back, which Sims-Walker confirmed on Twitter: "It's official. I personally wanna thank all the fans who stuck with me in jacksonville for the last 4 years but sorry to say, my time is up!!"

Last season, Sims-Walker caught 43 passes for 562 yards and seven touchdown while starting 13 games. A third-round pick in 2007, Sims-Walker had a breakout year in 2009, producing 63 receptions for 869 yards and seven TDs.

Considering he is only 26 and hauled in 14 TD passes over the past two seasons, Sims-Walker should stir up significant interest on the open market as a potential No. 2 receiving option. However, teams will be wary of his history of injuries.

Meanwhile, Pro Bowl TE Marcedes Lewis signed his $7.3 million franchise tender, and the Jaguars re-signed WR Jason Hill to a two-year deal.

Always known as a solid blocker, Lewis had a breakout season as a receiver in 2010, producing career highs in receptions (58), receiving yards (700) and touchdowns (10). He made the Pro Bowl for the first time.

Hill, picked up from San Francisco in November, played in six games and caught 11 passes for an average of 22.5 yards per catch. The team also signed defensive back Tyron Brackenridge and cornerback David Jones.

Cythim

Reaction score
The other 31 owners could save themselves a lot of money by ditching this crappy franchise. The NFL is currently ripe with TE talent, there is no need for a team with so many holes to spend that kind of money on a luxury position.

Cythim

Reaction score
How many Super Bowls have Gates, Witten and Gonzalez won? Who was the Patriots TE? Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Green Bay or New York? You can go cheap at the TE position and still end up with quality.

sbk92

Reaction score
Well that's different. You can win without an elite TE.

You can also win without an elite pass rusher, DT, OT, LB, CB, WR, RB and so on.

To call it a luxury position probably doesn't describe it accurately. I doubt Jason Garrett considers Jason Witten merely a luxury in his offense. I don't think Belichick would have drafted both Hernandez and Gronkowski this year and shifted their offense from Moss to his TEs if he thought they weren't important players.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The other 31 owners could save themselves a lot of money by ditching this crappy franchise. The NFL is currently ripe with TE talent, there is no need for a team with so many holes to spend that kind of money on a luxury position.

Or at least move it to L.A.

Top Bottom