Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- At the start of December, Benson Mayowa looked to be a forgotten man on the Dallas Cowboys' defense.

He was inactive for three straight games, falling out of favor with the coaches with just two sacks in the first eight games of the season to go with five tackles and six quarterback pressures.

In four December games, Mayowa has four sacks, 12 tackles, three quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery.

“I feel like I was doing the same things I’m doing now, just with a little bit more something on my shoulder, if you could say,” Mayowa said. “I feel like I’m not doing anything crazy.”

Mayowa leads the Cowboys with six sacks. He entered the season with two sacks in his career in 30 games with the Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders. Mayowa became the first restricted free agent the Cowboys ever signed, prying him away from the Raiders with a three year, $8.25 million deal with a $3.3 million signing bonus.

“I’m kind of playing more than I’ve ever played,” Mayowa said. “I don’t know how many plays I got, but I know it’s over 400 and I’ve not had 400 plays in my career. I’m just trying to do what I can do to help my guys to the left and right of me.”

Actually, it’s only 343 plays, but defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has seen a change in how Mayowa has played.

“I really think his takeoff,” Marinelli said. “He was kinda stuttering a little bit. We’ve kinda cleaned that up and I think he’s gotten really physical in the run game. Really physical. It doesn’t matter your size, you’ve got to be physical, you’ve got to go hit. I know he can rush. I feel really good about it. He has good instincts, but you’ve got to do it all.”

Top Bottom