C

Cr122

Tony Romo shouldn't play Saturday night
August, 18, 2010

By Tim MacMahon

OXNARD, Calif. -- With two starting offensive lineman out, it might be wise for the Cowboys to let Tony Romo have Saturday night off in San Diego.

Montrae Holland will fill in for Kyle Kosier (knee) at left guard. The Cowboys are forced to start Robert Brewster, whose NFL experience consists of two preseason games, at right tackle with Marc Colombo (knee) and Alex Barron (ankle) out.

Coach Wade Phillips said Monday that the Cowboys would just scheme to make sure Brewster had help while protecting Romo. But the injury suffered by Kosier could change the plan.

“We’ll still have those discussions,” offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. “We’ll talk about that in the next couple of days.”

Garrett and Phillips haven’t asked for my advice, but I’ll offer it anyway. Let Romo hold a clipboard and start Jon Kitna against the Chargers. Preseason reps aren’t worth risking the health of the starting quarterback if a pair of question marks are protecting him.

C

Cr122

I say two series, because he'll need to get Free,Holland,Young,Costa and Brewster some more chemistry time with the first team, no more than that.

Top Bottom