C

Cr122

Secondary finally appears to be a primary strength for Cowboys

Posted Tuesday, Aug. 03, 2010

By Gil LeBreton glebreton@star-telegram.com

SAN ANTONIO -- The headline forecast wondrous things.

Cowboys' secondary is second to none, boldly predicted the preview by Scouts, Inc., on the ESPN website.

Unfortunately for the Dallas Cowboys, however, the season in the crystal ball was 2008, and the so-called "second to none" defensive backs were Terence Newman, Anthony Henry, Ken Hamlin, safety Roy Williams and newly signed cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones.

The old Magic 8-Ball -- "Outlook not so good" -- might have produced better results.

In truth, the 2008 Cowboys defense gave up 30 or more points six times during that 9-7 season. Among the defeats was a 34-14 spanking by a St. Louis Rams team that won only two games.

The once-heralded secondary intercepted but eight passes the entire season.

And on the season's final Sunday, with a playoff berth on the line, the Cowboys were embarrassed at Philadelphia, 44-6.

This history lesson is meant only to provide a benchmark, not to remind anyone of previously dashed hopes.

For to appreciate where the Cowboys' secondary is today, you have to remember how muddled and confused it was just two seasons ago.

Newman and Henry were both hurt during that 2008 season. Safety Williams sank low enough to become every team's favorite target.

In 2008, the secondary was the Cowboys' most-exploited weakness.

In 2010, the Cowboys think, their secondary has established itself as one of the team's unquestioned strengths.

"I think they're getting better," said secondary coach Dave Campo. "Terence, after all his years here, is better than he was a year ago, because he's the designated leader now. He's not competing for leadership. People look to him, and I think he likes that. It allows him to do his thing."

Newman is the only starting holdover from that '08 group.

Of the former defensive backs, Henry was traded to the Detroit Lions. Hamlin and Williams were released. Jones was bid an eager farewell.

The new cast around Newman, in the meantime, continues to grow up.

As many had howled two years ago, owner Jerry Jones erred in signing the troublemaking Pac-Man. His impact on the Cowboys' secondary caused barely a positive ripple.

Worse, it immeasurably postponed the development of first-round draft choice Mike Jenkins. Unable to claim a starting job that season, Jenkins sulked at the slow progress he was making. When he did play, his shaken confidence was apparent.

Hamlin, meanwhile, never seemed to recover from the inglorious manner in which his '08 season ended. With four decades of Cowboys players watching as the franchise lowered the curtain on Texas Stadium, Hamlin found himself the timid victim of 77- and 82-yard fourth-quarter touchdown runs.

A year later, a more confident Jenkins found himself earning the starting role opposite Newman.

At Williams' request, the team released him before last season. His play and attitude had deteriorated. Opponents were finding too many ways to spread their tight end and leave Williams in one-on-one coverage. It wasn't pretty.

Gerald Sensabaugh, the Cowboys discovered, could not only run with opposing tight ends, but was eager to do it.

Similarly, with Hamlin gone, young Alan Ball seized his opportunity at the other safety position.

Drafted in the seventh round in 2007, Ball came to the Cowboys on the shy side of 170 pounds. He literally has grown into his position.

"I like Alan Ball," Campo said, after practice at the Alamodome. "Alan Ball I trust. Alan Ball is a guy who brings a great speed to the position.

"There's going to be some transition. That's why we've got preseason games. But I've seen him in action. I've seen him start three ballgames, critical ballgames, including one that we won 7-6.

"So I know the kid can play."

For the Cowboys' secondary, the change didn't come overnight. Last year's pass defense was 20th in the league in yards given up. The Cowboys also were fifth-worst in interceptions.

Turnovers are the next step, Ball said.

"We have a great offense," he said. "We have to try to get the ball in their hands."

Linebacker Bradie James said the whole package is there, if ...

"We really need to focus on turnovers," he said. "That's the only improvement we really need to make, to be honest."

It's a bold assessment. No one is howling, though, this time.

Gil LeBreton, 817-390-7697

Top Bottom