Reaction score
League not considering 18 games with 16-per-player max

League not considering 18 games with 16-per-player max
Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
PFT Liveblank

Recently, an idea emerged that expansion of the regular season from 16 games to 18 would make sense if each player is limited to appearing in a maximum of 16 games.

Don Yee, who represents Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, has made the case for the 16-in-18 concept.

The league doesn’t seem to be ready to embrace it.

“I don’t think that would be consistent with the goal of giving fans a better product,” NFL Chief Marketing Officer Mark Waller told PFT Live on Monday. “So if you were essentially saying that two out of every 18 games would not have the full participation of the best players, then I don’t think that would be a sensible swap, and actually you could argue that it would actually be detrimental to the regular-season quality. So that’s not something that we’ve looked at.”

Thus, it’s fairly clear that the proposal is not something the league will look at, either.

sbk92

Reaction score
I heard that idea talked about on sports radio in Philly last year.

Too much of a gimmick to me.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I heard an interesting idea about game alignment last night on sirius radio. You guys tell me what you think.

18 games.

Play each team in your division twice, like it is now. That leaves 12 games. Then you play every other team in your conference and do away with the inter-conference games.

How would that go over with you?

Reaction score
I heard an interesting idea about game alignment last night on sirius radio. You guys tell me what you think.

18 games.

Play each team in your division twice, like it is now. That leaves 12 games. Then you play every other team in your conference and do away with the inter-conference games.

How would that go over with you?

Interesting idea.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't like it. It would rob you of some really good matchups throughout the season that could end up being rematches in the Super Bowl.

Cythim

Reaction score
The Cowboys would never have a chance to play Pittsburgh, New England or Indianapolis. On paper it is a good idea but the chance to miss on epic regular season games is too big.

Top Bottom