C

Cr122

Jerry Jones: On paper, this is the most talented Cowboys team since Super Bowl squads

11:35 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 3, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was interviewed on Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket to discuss the Cowboys, training camp and expectations for the upcoming year. Here are some highlights:

How big of a blow was it for your team when Dez hurt his ankle?

Well, I think that first of all, Dez is likely to progress faster because he’s really young and plus, he’s got a very healing attitude about getting out there. Now, the problem with that high ankle sprain is that people want to get back out on it too fast. Players play with sprains all the time but if you really want to get over it, totally get over it and get well, you get off of it. And that’s a little bit of the dilemma here. He got a lot of work in and I don’t think it set us back.

Would you say this is the most talented team you’ve ever had since the Super Bowl winning-teams?

On paper, I would. I thought the team, two years ago, was the best team that I’ve ever been associated with that didn’t win a Super Bowl or the national championship. But the one two years ago was the best one; this one is better then that team on paper.

What has David Buehler shown you in camp to inspire confidence in him and what will it take in actual games for him to cement himself as the permanent kicker?

I like what I see; he’s real sound. He’s got a great mentality. We see that, you know that. He goes down on kicks; he’s a football player. Yet, he’s kicking. What he did for us in the kicking game was, in terms of kicking off, incalculable as far as the plus side of it. He’s really improved our defense and improved our team to have him get those touchbacks. On the other hand, I wanted to see how quick he could get to the ball when he’s kicking field goals. He is quick enough and the ball is accurate at this juncture but we’ll see how it is in competition but I think he’s going to get the job done.

If Buehler falters and the Cowboys bring in another field goal kicker, will Buehler stay on for kickoffs?

Absolutely. We would do it just like we did it last year. But we don’t need to talk about that right now. We deliberately had him doing it, for all practical purposes, without competition and I think that’s the way to go. I don’t see that happening at this juncture but of course we have the pre-season games ahead of us to look at it and that’ll tell the story.

Top Bottom