C

Cr122

10:16 PM CDT on Sunday, August 15, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was interviewed on KRLD-FM on Sunday to discuss the Cowboys and the two pre-season games played so far. Here are some highlights:

Why are the Cowboys so confident that Jon Kitna can be an adequate replacement if Tony Romo goes down with injury?

Look at how strong his arm is. Look how good his arm is. Look at a couple of those throws he made there in the last of the third quarter, fourth quarter.

Good, strong arm. Look at where he goes with the ball. If you really analyze the play — obviously a quarterback's got two or three plays he's usually to go to, but one is better by degree than another. As the play unfolds he'll usually make the right decision.

He does a good job there. What we wanted to see that you worry about as someone gets 37 years old is you worry about their ability to use their legs. I saw him do that last night. I saw him do it at a couple of plays up at Canton. You say, 'Well, can't you see that at practice?' You can't see anything as well as you see it in a game condition like what we see. I think we've got us a heck of a backup quarterback and he can win games for us.

When are the Cowboys expecting Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett to return to action by?

At this juncture, I would hope that Martellus at San Diego and would hope that Dez, maybe, would dream a little bit, certainly the last game against Miami, maybe get in some against Houston. I got that from medical school at the great University of Arkansas Technology. I don't know.

What are the expectations for Bennett this year? He's probably the most talented of all of your tight ends, but he has been a disappointment.

Martellus is a freak in the sense of his talent. He's exceptional. For his size, it's all there. His strength in his hands is really impressive. He can really block and really control a defender.

So all of that is there. We know he's got excellent hands for catching the ball, he's got the size to do it with and can really meet the ball in the air, can jump and hit the ball at the apex. All of those things are there. He has more focus than at any time in the last three years. I think he can be able to handle downtime adversity. He's having some right now.

It arguably might not have been handled as well as he's handling this. He'll be patient and get back out there for us. I think he's going to have a very impressive year and help us a lot.

Is there any young player on the roster that's ready to make a break-out season for the team?

Alan Ball. I think Alan has that potential. I think he's shown that he can play physical enough relative to the concern with his weight. He's got the instincts and he's got a vital part of our team, so I think he could be that guy.

• • •

Reaction score
Does any team really have an adequate back up QB?

The days of Frank Reich stepping in for Jim Kelly or Jeff Hostetler for Phil Simms are gone. Pretty much every team in the league, if the starting QB goes down, they're screwed.

Top Bottom