Reaction score
James Spader is officially added to regular cast in season 8 of "The Office". NBC announced on Wednesday, July 6 that the multiple Emmy Award winner will reprise his role as Robert California, who appeared in season 7 finale as an applicant for Michael Scott's vacant regional manager position.

"James has an energy that is completely his own, and 'The Office' has no tools for dealing with this guy. We're thrilled he's joining our cast," executive producer/regular actor Paul Lieberstein says. He describes Spader's character as an "uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior."

As it was said before, California will have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but he quickly decides the role is too small for him. Thus, he talks corporate into appointing him as its new CEO. Lieberstein additionally gushes, "...within hours, [he] got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company."

Since reports of Spader being in talks to join next season of "The Office" as new CEO emerged, there have been speculations that the show may promote a character from within as new Dunder Mifflin's Scranton branch manager. The drama comedy series will return on September 22.

© AceShowbiz.com

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Me and Carell aren't talking right now. There was no reason to ditch the show. His character was stale.

With that said, Spader was a trip in his interview episode. I think he'll fit in nicely.

Reaction score
Me and Carell aren't talking right now. There was no reason to ditch the show. His character was stale.

With that said, Spader was a trip in his interview episode. I think he'll fit in nicely.

Yeah, i was pulling for Spader or Will Arnett.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm just glad it's not Ray Ramano.

I don't think there was much of a shot, I think he already has a show on cable.

Reaction score
I used to love the show, but I ditched it around season three or so.

Probably for the best. first 3 seasons it was at its peak. I stick with it now, kinda feel like its a dying loved one I need to see through to the end. i'd be an ass if I bailed now.

Cythim

Reaction score
Maybe I'll actually watch it now. I never thought it was very funny with Steve as boss. He over-acted his part in a bad way.

Reaction score
Maybe I'll actually watch it now. I never thought it was very funny with Steve as boss. He over-acted his part in a bad way.

That was the humor.. lol. He didn't overact.. he played the role. A manager who thinks his position is much more important than it really is.

I was pulling for Arnett as well.. hope he makes it into the cast somewhere, although i heard he has a new show he's working on so idk.

Cythim

Reaction score
That was the humor.. lol. He didn't overact.. he played the role. A manager who thinks his position is much more important than it really is.

I was pulling for Arnett as well.. hope he makes it into the cast somewhere, although i heard he has a new show he's working on so idk.

Go watch the British original and you will see what I mean. Steve tried too hard and it didn't work for me.

Reaction score
Go watch the British original and you will see what I mean. Steve tried too hard and it didn't work for me.

The show wasn't supposed to be an exact replica of that one.. and thank God it wasn't because Ricky Gervais is just awful. It was loosely based on it, that's all.

Again, he didn't try too hard, that was the role he was playing. A "regional manager" at a small company who thought his job was much more important than it really was.

You can't please everybody though, and saying it wasn't for you is fine. I can understand that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom