Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Dak was one of the best deep-pass throwers in the NFL. 39.5% of passes that Dak attempted over 20 yards traveled into tight windows (Where his receiver had less than a yard of separation in coverage). His 29.4% completion mark (just behind Roethlisberger's 29.6; who is thought to be one of the best on deep throws) on those throws was 9th best in the league; and he didn't toss an interception.

So much for Dak being just a dink and dunk thrower.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wetz was 3 for 21 on such throws

I'm not sure this is accurate. I've seen more of these passes the few times I've watched Philly.

Dak is still a good short to moderate intermediate passer. Not seeing what the "stats" show.

Reaction score
If you see the graphic of all of daks passes for the year, he's the epitome of a dink and dunk passer.

No shit 80% are within 10 yards. Hardly any over the middle of the field.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is accurate. I've seen more of these passes the few times I've watched Philly.

Dak is still a good short to moderate intermediate passer. Not seeing what the "stats" show.

I've seen a lot of these passes from Wentz that were either WAY off target, get intercepted, or his WR's just drop.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of these passes from Wentz that were either WAY off target, get intercepted, or his WR's just drop.

And I've seen some nice downfield passes from Wentz as well. He has all the tools and I think Philly fans are pretty happy with him and his future with the team.

On another note, I went back and watched the Baltimore game last night just for shits and giggles. I'll watch some more games I have recorded but I'll tell you Dak is a dink and dunk game manager. That much was obvious.

Reaction score
If you see the graphic of all of daks passes for the year, he's the epitome of a dink and dunk passer.

No shit 80% are within 10 yards. Hardly any over the middle of the field.

I can't understand the argument here. If it's not broken, why insist on or introduce something that has been broke for almost the entire Garrett era: the distance routes. Romo running around avoiding rushes while players get downfield or go "stay alive" is not a play (except for at Baylor under Briles). In order for this scheme to have success you need speed. Again, when was the last time that this scheme won the Super Bowl in the last 20 years? The Warner Rams and the Manning Colts. And the slowest WR in the top 3 WRs on each team ran a 4.40/40.
But that aside, the team is winning using yards after the catch. It's a strength. It's a strength that the Patriots used against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl and in Brady's first year winning the Super Bowl. The WCO is designed to "get the ball as quickly as possible into the skill position players hands" (Bill Walsh). TWilly needs high percentage throws or he can't catch. Dez and Witten are both not fast but can both physically outplay close coverage on short and intermediate routes. Butler is fast but they won't play him over TWilly. And if Beasley is "always open", gets first downs and has been leading the team in receptions, why would you change that and send him long where he can't even be seen.

When Romo got punished and injured in previous years and when Dak has played the drop back and wait role, the offense not only slows but it becomes out of its own league. I understand if things have been 8-8 and only seem to work well when they throw the distance pass. But being 13-3 and being disabled only by their own attempts to engage in a trackmeet offense means that you stay away from what doesn't work and keep what does.
Again, Linehans offense is supposed to be quick out of the QBs hands from the snap. The QB who has the fastest snap to release is Tom Brady. Apparently it's a strength.

Reaction score
I wasn't arguing for more deep throws. Our offense works. (thanks Linehan). But I can say that while still acknowledging Dak is a dink and dunker.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
hype(rbole) video but impressed with the kid nonetheless

Top Bottom