sbk92

Reaction score
Roster Rundown

Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: Throughout the offseason, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will take a closer look at the roster, analyzing each player's impact last year and how he fits into the team's 2011 plans. Today's featured player is guard Montrae Holland.)

Name: Montrae Holland
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-2/326
Experience: Eight seasons
College: Florida State

Key stat: There's really no way to measure the impact of a backup guard like Holland other than to note that he started two of the three games first-teamer Kyle Kosier missed due to injury last year. Holland was active as a reserve in 14 of the 16 games, missing two at midseason with a groin injury.

Contract Status: Signed through 2011.

2010 Impact: When he did play, Holland performed fairly well in 2010. His first action was in the season-opener at Washington, when another backup lineman, Alex Barron, made the other four starters look very solid in comparison. Next he relieved Leonard Davis against Tennessee in Week 5, when the starter was ineffective, and stabilized the line's performance. He also started against the Giants in Week 6, but had to leave with a groin injury.

Where He Fits: Holland's role on the team might not be greatly affected by the future of Kosier, Davis and the Cowboys' plans in the draft and free agency. If Kosier is brought back, he's likely to continue starting at left guard. If Davis is retained, he'll be the right guard, and Holland will continue to be the backup for both positions. Should either be gone, the Cowboys will have likely addressed the position in the draft, probably expecting that rookie to start for them. Holland will continue to have value as the backup to two positions.

Writers' Analysis:

Josh Ellis: A pretty shrewd re-signing for the Cowboys, who had traded for Holland from Denver in 2008, but hadn't reaped much benefit from the move. They were slow to make him a starter that year, instead going with Cory Procter, and he was usually inactive in 2009 after the experiment to make him the backup center failed. With Kosier learning the center position, Holland was able to be active for every game last year, a plus for the Cowboys since they considered him their sixth-best lineman.

Nick Eatman: He was the only player the Cowboys signed in free agency last season, giving him a two-year deal. Maybe the team knew exactly what was going to happen after one year, with Kyle Kosier's contract expiring and Leonard Davis' future shaky. There's a good chance Holland will have a shot to start at one of the two guard spots this season. If not, he's a quality backup because he goes about his business and keeps himself ready to play at all times.

C

Cr122

That's about it, he's no better than a backup here.

I'd hold onto Holland, because you know Kosier and or Davis is bound to have an injury, their not not getting any younger.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'd hold onto Holland, because you know Kosier and or Davis is bound to have an injury, their not not getting any younger.

I think had he not gotten injured that game he replaced Davis, he might have stayed in the lineup.

He's a good guy to have around, just wish he'd stay healthy when he gets his chances...he got hurt in 2008 too when he finally started a game

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Davis has been healthy for us since his arrival.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I like Holland. Serviceable backup but not a guy you feel real comfortable with going into the season as a starter.

Top Bottom