Reaction score
Harbaugh: 49ers will start 'hot hand'

BSPN.com news services Updated: November 20, 2012, 9:55 AM ET

Jim Harbaugh hinted at a possible quarterback change for the San Francisco 49ers following Colin Kaepernick's impressive performance Monday night against the Chicago Bears.

Kaepernick, who replaced the injured Alex Smith, was outstanding his his first career start, prompting Harbaugh to say that the Niners would "go with the hot hand" next Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

"I usually tend to go with the guy that has the hot hand and we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand," Harbaugh said after Monday's 32-7 victory. "So I thought Colin did an outstanding job. I thought he did a great job, poised in the pocket pushing the ball throwing with accuracy, did a nice job running the game plan. Everything he did was exemplary and really acquitted himself great, very proud of him for that."

Kaepernick, who had played sparingly since being drafted in the second round last year, completed 16 of 23 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns against Chicago's vaunted defense.

"It's everything I could've ever wished for," Kaepernick said. "It feels great just to be out there."

Harbaugh acknowledged he was "impressed" with Kaepernick and dismissed the notion that Smith shouldn't lose his starting job because of an injury.

"We'll make that determination as we go, but there's no rule," Harbaugh said.

Smith, who had made 28 consecutive starts, suffered a concussion in last week's tie against the St. Louis Rams and was ruled out against the Bears after failing to receive clearance from a neurologist.

Harbaugh said that he had already decided to start Kaepernick when Smith, who is ranked third in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating, still was experiencing headache symptoms as recently as this past Sunday.

Kaepernick was quick to reward Harbaugh for his decision, throwing for 184 yards in the first half alone.

"I think after the first drive I felt really comfortable with what they were doing and what we had in our game plan," Kaepernick said. "I really wasn't too nervous. I've had a lot of time in this offense. My teammates were really supportive."

Best QBR in Debut Since 2008

Colin Kaepernick had the best starting debut in terms of Total QBR by any player over the last five seasons, surpassing the performances of Aaron Rodgers and Robert Griffin III, among others.

Year Player Opponent QBR
2012 Colin Kaepernick Bears 97.5
2012 Robert Griffin III Saints 93.8
2008 Matt Ryan Lions 89.2
2008 Aaron Rodgers Vikings 88.5
2010 Tim Tebow Raiders 84.6
-- BSPN Stats & Information

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Kaepernick was pretty incredible last night. Wonder if it was some beginner's luck, so to speak... He can't be that good already, can he?

Agree on wishing we had the good young HC, too.

Other thought last night was what a project Kaepernick was coming out and how polished he already looked. Even if we drafted a good young prospect like that, think we could develop him the same way? Have to wonder when you see how McGee never got any better.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Kaepernick was pretty incredible last night. Wonder if it was some beginner's luck, so to speak... He can't be that good already, can he?

Other thought last night was what a project Kaepernick was coming out and how polished he already looked. Even if we drafted a good young prospect like that, think we could develop him the same way? Have to wonder when you see how McGee never got any better.

McGee's problem was he couldn't play. You actually have a pretty good setting for developing a QB with Romo having a few more good years in him before whoever this QB is would have to play. This all hinges on picking the right guy of course.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McGee's problem was he couldn't play. You actually have a pretty good setting for developing a QB with Romo having a few more good years in him before whoever this QB is would have to play. This all hinges on picking the right guy of course.
And the coaching he gets.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why can't we have a young HC who's a real HC..........:jerry

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wanted Kaepernick. I thought he would be a decent QB to groom behind Romo. I tell you, it was great watching a well-coached team like that yesterday.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I knew McGee was crap when he was drafted. Brad Johnson 2.0. All McGee could do was just check down.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

You can't teach a quarterback how to read the field. Either he can, or he can't. That was McGee's biggest problem and why he liked to take off running so much.

Reaction score
Harbaugh is a fine coach, but he's making a mistake in this case. Your starting QB shouldn't lose his starting job due to an injury .... particularly when he (Smith) had been playing well.

Give NFL defensive coordinators a few full games of film on Kaepernick and then we'll see how great he is.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Harbaugh is a fine coach, but he's making a mistake in this case. Your starting QB shouldn't lose his starting job due to an injury .... particularly when he (Smith) had been playing well.

Give NFL defensive coordinators a few full games of film on Kaepernick and then we'll see how great he is.

*ahem* Tom Brady.

Reaction score

I disagree.

Smith is playing safe, bus driver football. He's not a threat.

CK went up against a tough defense and played exceptional. It's worth exploring.

Reaction score

This dude just tore up the Bears D. That D has been statistically one of the best of ALL-TIME this season.

I'm sure he'll go through some growing pains, but I doubt that this MNF game was some fluke. He's much better suited for that system than Alex Smith.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing. I wanted Kaepernick. I thought he would be a decent QB to groom behind Romo. I tell you, it was great watching a well-coached team like that yesterday.

Yep,I liked the looks of this kid,saw him a few times as we often got the Wolfpack/WAC in the late FoxSports games here.
Also,whatever the hell Garrett's doing(anyone know?),it's not fucking working.

Reaction score
*ahem* Tom Brady.

For every Tom Brady there are at least a dozen Elvis Grbacs.

... but more to the point, I believe in Tom Landry's rule that starters do not lose their positions due to injury. Rarely did Landry go against this rule. He believed that when players believed they'd lose their jobs if injured, players would play with a fear of injury ... and not play as aggressively nor as well. That's not the mindset you want on your team. That's a big part of why Landry had the rule.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah well when is the last time Tom Landry won a playoff game.

Check and mate

9141711-large.jpg

Reaction score
Landry's Super Bowls are more recent than Harbaugh's.

... and you kids stay off of my lawn.

Top Bottom