Reaction score
Every year, after a team wins the Super Bowl, one of the storylines the next morning is about whether that team can win it again, and whether it can become a "dynasty." They are quite rare, these sports dynasties, and so regardless of how things look in the light of one championship, the answer in reality usually turns out to be "no." But it's fair, after a team wins its first championship, to wonder how many more it might be able to win.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has taken this one step further. According to CNSPhilly.com, Vick is talking up the Eagles as a potential dynasty before they've won even a single title.

"When I look at our football team and what we have on paper, I think about when I was growing up and the great San Francisco 49er teams, the great Green Bay Packer teams, and the great Dallas Cowboy teams, how they just positioned themselves to compete and be one of the best teams out there," Vick said.

"I think we have a chance to be that. I think we have a chance to develop a dynasty."

Sure they do. The Eagles look great on paper. Talented. Deep. Young. If they were coming off a Super Bowl title and had this exact same roster, there'd be stories written and in-depth analyses done of their potential to become a dynasty. But they're not. They're coming off a very disappointing 8-8 season with basically the same group of players. And from 8-8, you don't need to be thinking dynasty. You need to be thinking about winning one championship first. Heck, if you're the Eagles right now, you need to be thinking about trying to make the playoffs.

So that's the problem here. This isn't about whether what Vick said was accurate. It's not about whether he should or shouldn't be confident in his team. His confidence in his team is earnest and, I believe, justified. I think the Eagles will be a very good team this year. But I, Vick and many others believed the same last year, and for all of their talent they too often played like a bunch of underachieving losers in big spots. Coming off of 2011, I would have expected this group of Eagles to be humble, to eschew any grand talk and to be speaking mainly -- if not only -- of the difficulty of the 2012 task that lies ahead of them and the very hard work they need to do to complete it.

The Eagles, of all teams, should know better. After backup quarterback Vince Young's ill-considered "Dream Team" comment last August came to mockingly define the flop the 2011 Eagles became, one would think Vick and his bunch would go out of their way not to say things like Vick said Tuesday. Why give people another reason to mock you? Why risk feeding into the public perception that all you are is a team full of good-looking names on a roster sheet that thinks it's better than it is? Why invite the LeBron James/Miami Heat comparisons again, so soon after that burned you?

But even if public perception doesn't matter -- even if the Eagles don't give a rat's hind parts what the rest of the world thinks of them -- this is still the wrong thing to be talking about. If it's even in the Eagles' minds that they might someday be a 49ers-level dynasty, then their eyes are on the horizon when they need to be on their own feet. The most important thing for the Eagles right now is the hard, nitty-gritty work they need to do to make sure they're better than 8-8 this year -- that they make good on their paper promise and knock off the defending division and Super Bowl champion Giants. That's not going to be easy, and if a dynastic destiny does await them down the road, there are dozens of very challenging hurdles they have to clear before they should even be thinking that way.

At a different point in the CSNPhilly interview, Vick said this:

"I think just getting to the postseason right now is our focus," he said. "The Super Bowl is going to come if it's meant to happen. Some of the best teams have some of the best luck. Maybe we'll have some of that. I think our focus needs to be one game at a time, just getting into the postseason."

Which really dovetails with the "dynasty" talk and offers evidence for those who want to believe Vick's focus is where it needs to be right now. And maybe it is. Maybe the talk of dynasties is just something that's occurred to him in his down time and he's able to shove it right out of his head when it's time to get to work. Eagles fans certainly hope so, because every single one of them is painfully aware that their team has never even won one Super Bowl. Eagles fans would be happy to talk dynasty at the appropriate time, because the appropriate time is after you win your first one.

In the meantime, though, one summer after "Dream Team" and a few months after 8-8, the Eagles weren't supposed to be about talk anymore. We won't and can't know how good the Eagles really are until we see them on the field and find out whether they're going to fall apart in the fourth quarter, over and over again, the way they did last year. The 2012 Eagles are a prove-it team, not a talk-about-it team. And talk of dynasties shows they're still thinking about the wrong thing.

Last edited:

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Win 1 fucking championship before you start talking about a dynasty you loser. What a moron. I don't think I've ever heard a player even mention being a dynasty prior to winning one ring.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the green bay packers were a dynasty my ass.

they were the third wheel that was just a touch younger than the beat up and worn out cowboys and 49ers.....

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
When I look at our football team and what we have on paper, I think about when I was growing up and the great San Francisco 49er teams, the great Green Bay Packer teams, and the great Dallas Cowboy teams, how they just positioned themselves to compete and be one of the best teams out there," Vick said.

BUT WHY NOT BELIEVE A GOOD GUY LIKE VICK

In 2007, statements were made by his father, Michael Boddie, about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Boddie told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated: "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."[51] Within days, Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, told the Newport News Daily Press "There was no dogfighting (at our home). There were no cages."[52]

In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Vick. Falcons coach Dan Reeves recalled that he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, and on staying out of trouble for the good of his team.

On October 10, 2004, Vick and other members of his party, including employee Quanis Phillips, were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran flight. While they were passing through a security checkpoint, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[54] After watching the theft on a video tape, Spencer filed a police report. He claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons' "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[53] Although Vick representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, six days later Spencer got the watch back from them.[54]

In March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002 and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[55] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[56] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.[57]

November 26, 2006 – After a loss to the New Orleans Saints in the Georgia Dome, in apparent reaction to fans booing, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity.[58]

January 17, 2007 – Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[59] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry.[60]

On April 24, 2007, Vick was scheduled to lobby on Capitol Hill, hoping to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. Vick missed a connecting flight in Atlanta on Monday to Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Virginia. He failed to show up for another seat booked for him later that evening. On Tuesday morning, he did not attend his scheduled appearance at the congressional breakfast where he was to be honored for his foundation's work with after-school projects in Georgia and Virginia.[61] Vick's mother Brenda accepted the award from the Afterschool Alliance.

On January 23, 2010, the Dallas Morning News reported that steroid trafficker David Jacobs told the paper he supplied steroids to Vick while Vick played for the Falcons. When questioned by federal agents and prosecutors, Vick denied the allegations.[62]

DOG KILLER SHOULD NOT EVEN BE PLAYING FOOTBALL

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sadly if the giants get hot again and win they can be called that.

Meanwhile we are trying to figure out if DEz Bryant is going to the pokey or not.

to me a dynasty is a string of greatness, not a fluke season here or there

last season was the biggest fluke in league history

I thought the 2007 NYG team that won it all was a very good team, last years version was a painfully mediocre team that happened to string together a few good games at the end

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
each of the other NFC Eastern teams has more Lombardis than the Eagles have Super Bowl appearances.
So,yeah,NO.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
to me a dynasty is a string of greatness, not a fluke season here or there

last season was the biggest fluke in league history

I thought the 2007 NYG team that won it all was a very good team, last years version was a painfully mediocre team that happened to string together a few good games at the end

A dynasty is gauged by Super Bowl victories. Always have.

Top Bottom