sbk92

Reaction score
UPDATE: Continuing his series of looks at the backfields in the NFC East, Matt Williamson of ESPN's Scouts, Inc. profiled the Dallas Cowboys' running backs on Tuesday. His idea for who should be the one getting the "lead back" carries is found at the bottom of this post.

---

Will 2011 finally be the season where Felix Jones becomes a feature back for the Dallas Cowboys, or will the running back-by-committee approach continue? That was the topic of a blog post by Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram, and it appears that the latter option is the one the Cowboys will choose.

"I thought he did a really good job handling the workload, and that's something that a lot of guys can grow into," Jason Garrett said Tuesday at the NFL league meetings. "We talked about how young some of these guys are coming out of college, and a guy like that continues to develop into his body and able to take the pounding and punishment of the NFL that's required for his position. I thought he handled that well."

Even so, Garrett admits that the team will use the multi-RB approach. Interestingly, it appears that Marion Barber being cut is not as much of a foregone conclusion as previously thought, per Williams, as Garrett spoke as if Barber was part of the plans in 2011. If that holds, it could be another season of Tashard Choice playing third fiddle to the others.

- Tim Kavanagh

--

Matt Williamson
Tashard would be my choice as lead back

"Barber may be heading out of town, and considering Jones' record of missing games, Choice could become the lead guy in this backfield at some point next season. To me, that wouldn't be such a terrible scenario. Given the wealth of receiving options and overall weaponry of this offense, a try-hard runner with a slightly above-average skill set could flourish behind the Cowboys' blocking. In fact, it might be a very good idea -- if Barber is out of the picture -- to use Choice on early downs and let Jones focus on his immense potential in the passing game."

Reaction score
to use Choice on early downs and let Jones focus on his immense potential in the passing game."

I've always had this idea that FJ would serve us best as a utility offensive weapon. Screens, outside runs, line him up in the slot, etc.

Cythim

Reaction score
I've always had this idea that FJ would serve us best as a utility offensive weapon. Screens, outside runs, line him up in the slot, etc.

Ditto. I've wanted Choice as the starter for two years now. Felix has a lot of big play ability and needs to be on the field as much as we can get him there but he doesn't need to be the guy getting the hard yards.

Top Bottom