C

Cr122

Eatman: Kosier Injury Affects More Than Guard

Two For One
Kosier Injury Affects More Than Guard
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - The good part about having starting players as backups to other spots is certainly the versatility it gives a team on game day.

The bad part is when there is an injury, you lose a starter here and a backup there - with one play.

Since we haven't gotten to the regular season yet, we don't see the good part. But that bad part was witnessed here once again, as starting left guard Kyle Kosier went down in the middle of the morning practice at Oxnard's River Ridge complex. All indications are Kosier has a sprained MCL in his right knee, an injury that will likely sideline him for 3-6 weeks.

Not only does that mean the Cowboys lose a starting left guard, but Kosier was also set to be Andre Gurode's primary backup at center - a position Kosier hasn't practiced much this training camp and has never played during his eight-year career.

"We have some young guys we expect to step up. We're going forward," head coach Wade Phillips said. "We've had a couple of injuries on the line here. But we've got some other guys who have some opportunity. Our attitude has to be the same no matter what - protect our quarterback, help the running game and play well. We're going to focus on that."

Unlike the injuries to guys like Dez Bryant, Marcus Spears and Marc Colombo, it appears Kosier's injury will likely carry over into the regular season. A three-week injury would probably mean he misses the Sept. 12 opener against Washington. However, it may end up costing him three games, which would take him to the Cowboys' bye in Week 4 of the season.

The injury is yet another blow to the offensive line, which saw Colombo go down on Sunday, prompting arthroscopic surgery that will sideline him 1-2 weeks. That is on top of Alex Barron's nagging ankle injury which will likely keep him out of action again this Saturday in San Diego.

So while Robert Brewster prepares to play and start at right tackle against the Chargers, left guard will likely be manned by Montrae Holland, who up until this week had been sidelined for the past three weeks with a strained hamstring.

"Montrae will step in. It's good to have a veteran who has played and has started," Phillips said. "It's good to have some guys like him and Barron."

While Holland didn't play at all last year, inactive for 16 games, the Cowboys decided to re-sign him in the offseason to a two-year deal.

"I just think he's a good player. A guy we can count on," Phillips said of Holland. "I think he can play and do good things for you. I think he'll help the team when he does play."

While Holland isn't much for media interviews, he did say this was why the Cowboys signed him.

"As my job as a backup - a guy went down and it's time to step up," said Holland, who was later asked about wanting and needing a few reps. "Of course, that's what they brought me here for. I'll be ready."

While Kosier will be replaced at guard by a veteran, the backup now to Gurode at center will likely fall to a youngster - either first-year pro Travis Bright or undrafted rookie Phil Costa.

"We've got a few young guys we'll get a chance to look at," Phillips said. "We'll use Bright in there and Costa, too. I think this will give them a chance to show what they can do."

Costa is an intriguing prospect considering the versatility he showed in college. As a sophomore, Costa started every game at Maryland as a right guard, then started every game at center during his junior year. After that, Costa then became the full-time starter at left guard during his senior year.

"It's about versatility," Costa said. "You get a birds-eye view at each position. At center, you're right in the middle of everything and you have to make the calls. I just think playing all three positions helped me learn the playbook and learn what you're trying to do on each play."

After Wednesday's practice, and even after Costa worked on more reps with the other young linemen, Phillips stopped by to chat with the rookie for a few moments.

"He basically just said this is your opportunity right here," Costa said. "He said I've been doing good so far and to just continue with that and show I can do it."

As for Bright, he's more of a guard prospect, but has been playing some at center as well.

The backup spot will likely go to the more versatile player of the two. Last year, the Cowboys decided to keep Cory Procter active every game instead of Holland, mainly for his ability to back up at two positions.

"That's the key," offensive line coach Hudson Houck said. "We're always looking for guys who can do more than one thing, especially at our backup spots. That's always what you want to see."

And that's what the Cowboys were hoping to see and get out of Kosier in the first place. Now that he's out for a while, it's got the team shuffling the deck, in more than just one spot.

C

Cr122

I'll admit I don't know much about Costa, but as versatile as he has been in college, it will be a huge lift to our offensive line depth if he produces well.

I'm starting to like this kid more and more.

Top Bottom