C

Cr122

Eatman: Hamlin Not Worried About Competition

Hamlin Not Worried About Competition
Posted by nickeatman at 8/2/2010 6:45 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Cowboys second-year safety Mike Hamlin has heard a lot of talk about a competition at free safety with Alan Ball. While you can say everyone is out here competing, even Hamlin knows it’s not really a one-on-one battle.

“I can’t really worry about all that,” Hamlin said. “I don’t worry about the amount of reps I get or Alan gets. It’s not me against him. The coaches figure all that out.”

And while it appears the coaches have figured out that Ball will get the first-team reps for now, it hasn’t slowed down Hamlin’s progress.

“I am going after it every day,” he said. “I’m just trying to get myself in position to help the team when I can – whatever that is. We all like to start, but if it doesn’t work out, there’s a role for you somewhere.”

Hamlin said the difference between this time last year as a rookie and now is “definitely . . . night and day.”

And as for the so-called competition, he said he’d like to start, but he’s still a huge fan of Ball.

“I want him to do well,” Hamlin said.”We’re all a team. We’re all battling for the same goal. When he’s in there, I want him to prove to everyone that he’s really good, too.”

Reaction score
cant wait its gonna be interesting preseason dallas has alot to determine before they start the season with the final roster spots and the depth charts

C

Cr122

cant wait its gonna be interesting preseason dallas has alot to determine before they start the season with the final roster spots and the depth charts

Alan Ball will start, but Hamlin will get his chance too.

Just not right away. Last year's injury set him back.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I think we carry 5 safeties: Sensebaugh, Hamlin, Ball, Chirch, and AOA.

Watkins is the odd man out. He's been here long enough and showed nothing.

Reaction score
I think we carry 5 safeties: Sensebaugh, Hamlin, Ball, Chirch, and AOA.

Watkins is the odd man out. He's been here long enough and showed nothing.

Five safeties seem excessive, but I'd hate to lose Church. I think we'll try and squeeze him on the practice squad though.

I agree that Watkins is gone. I loved the idea of a 6'5" safety roaming in the secondary, but he just never panned out. What a waste.

Top Bottom