C

Cr122

Eagles rookie: Dez Bryant's actions 'stamp on you saying that you're selfish'
Posted at 1:37 PM on Sat., Aug. 7, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com sports

Philadelphia Eagles rookie DE Brandon Graham joined WIP radio in Philadelphia and talked about Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant's recent decision to not carry Roy Williams' pads.

Some highlights as transcribed by sportsradiointerviews.com

On if he was anxious that he might not get signed before the start of training camp:

"Well I just didn't want nobody to think I was holding out. I just didn't want people to start bad-mouthing me because it wasn't my call. But I told my agent I was trying to get here on time, and he got that done for me. I'm happy about that."

On if there was one thing he wanted to buy:

"Well I haven't really thought about it. I've just been patient from the Rookie Symposium. I've really just been trying to save, because that second contract is when I really when I want to buy, and I want to get a house out in Malibu."

On what he's heard and knows about Philly as a sports town:

"Oh yeah, I know about the fans. I got a pretty good idea of how it's going to be, but I don't know exactly how it's going to be yet because I haven't been here."

On if there's anything he thinks about a la 'The Waterboy' pre-snap:

"It's just me hungry to get there, to get to the ball. Period. He always have the ball every play, and that's who I want to get. And you know, if you get it off, I'm running down field trying to get to the next person. But my main priority is the quarterback first, then the running back, and then it goes on after that."

On having to hate the Cowboys and the Giants as a member of the Eagles:

"Yup, Tony Romo."

On the recent Dez Bryant/Roy Williams stuff and if he's encountered much hazing thus far at camp:

"Well I haven't seen too much, but I know I have to take the whole D-Line out to dinner. That's as far as it's probably going to go. I don't know. But it don't matter because I'm used to the hazing stuff because that's what I was brought up on too. Being hazed when I first got there as a freshman; you know, it's just an always continuous thing. It's just about respect, that's all. You should respect the ones that have been there before you, and if I was Dez Bryant, I would have did it. Because it's not nothing that they're trying to do that's a bad thing, it's just a fun experience to go through because later on it will be memories."

On if he thinks the Cowboys have forgotten about the incident or if he thinks it will be something that maybe lingers for a bit:

"It's a big stamp on you saying that you're selfish and saying that you wouldn't fight for his teammates for real. Because you know, him saying that he's here for a Super Bowl, that's just a lot talk for him. But he's a selfish guy if he doesn't do what they ask him to do. Because he knows it's going to come. He knows it coming in because that's what you have in the back of your mind - 'oh, I'm a rookie again, I'm about to get hazed.' But some people really don't like that stuff, and it's just...you can't get around it."

On if there's one guy that he's tried to emulate his game after:

"I grew up a big Ray Lewis fan. I always tried to emulate what I saw out there on the field. And that's just hard work. I try to get after the ball. Wherever it's at, I'm going to be there around it. You can always count on Brandon Graham running to the ball and get there and make plays."

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wonder what he means by, "yup, Tony Romo."? Is he saying he hates the Cowboys because of him? Or is he sad that he hates the Cowboys because he likes Tony Romo?

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Who gives a flying fuck if Dez didn't want to carry Roy Williams Shoulder Pads?

sbk92

Reaction score
Who gives a flying fuck if Dez didn't want to carry Roy Williams Shoulder Pads?

I do.

It shows a character flaw. The same character flaw that had his top 5 talent slipping into the 20's of the draft.

That could come back to haunt us down the road.

C

Cr122

I truly believe he didn't know anything about it at first.

Personally though it didn't bother me, I sorta laughed it off when it happened.

I know it's right of passage and yes he should of followed the rule, but hey.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I do.

It shows a character flaw. The same character flaw that had his top 5 talent slipping into the 20's of the draft.

That could come back to haunt us down the road.

Really? You mean the same character flaw where the guy threw up 7 times and came back for more after each time?

He dropped out of the top 5 becuase of knee-jerk reaction. He lied about having dinner with Deion Sander. Oh my!

I think the greater character flaw is the one who went to the media over this crap: Roy Williams.

Roy had no business approaching Bryant. He was trying to punk Bryant and get into his head because he knows Bryant is there to take his job. If either Austin, Witten, Romo, etc. approached Bryant to carry their pads, then that's a different story, and I think he should have done it.

C

Cr122

Roy is the "media whore drama queen."

I also think he is worried about losing his starting position to Dez Bryant.

So, why wouldn't he make a big media frenzy about it.

Reaction score
Really? You mean the same character flaw where the guy threw up 7 times and came back for more after each time?

He dropped out of the top 5 becuase of knee-jerk reaction. He lied about having dinner with Deion Sander. Oh my!

I think the greater character flaw is the one who went to the media over this crap: Roy Williams.

Roy had no business approaching Bryant. He was trying to punk Bryant and get into his head because he knows Bryant is there to take his job. If either Austin, Witten, Romo, etc. approached Bryant to carry their pads, then that's a different story, and I think he should have done it.

I couldn't of said it better myself...

Top Bottom