C

Cr122

By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: Leading into the upcoming NFL Draft, which takes places April 28-30, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will take a closer look at several draft prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today's featured player is Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter.)

Name: Quinton Carter
Position: Safety
College: Oklahoma
Height/Weight: 6-1, 200

Did You Know? Carter founded a program called SOUL (Serving Others through Unity and Leadership). The program so far has run two free football camps, a Father's Day benefit to thank young, low-income fathers. He also mentored five boys in the Oklahoma City area with weekly visits throughout the season.

Strengths: He looks the part. When you're looking at an NFL safety, he should be rather tall, with a good build and a strong upper body, not too bulky that he can't run. Quinton Carter definitely fits the prototype. He's a good tackler and often has the look of a guy "flying around" to make plays. Carter was a good blitzer in college with several big tackles for loss. He's also a good character guy and played a significant role in the community during his years at Oklahoma.

Weaknesses: Similar to the comparison of Baylor DT Phil Taylor, Carter might look the part of a late first-round to early-second round pick, but his play doesn't always match up. He's got some issues with coverage. Sometimes he can be way too aggressive trying to make the play or big hit and lets the action get behind him. In a way, he's described similarly to another OU safety the Cowboys grabbed in 2002 by the name of Roy Williams.

Sound Bites: Quinton Carter on his full-time commitment to helping out the community, when he's not playing football. "That's what I enjoy doing in my free time. It's my recreational activity. I don't play video games. In my heart, I think God really put me in a position. Not only is it a dream come true, but I'm in a position to help others. I'm going to take advantage of my position. There are young guys who have no dreams."

Where He's Headed: This one is all over the map. Carter has been projected by some mock drafts in the late second round, and others have him going in the seventh. Obviously, he'll probably fall somewhere in between. It'll depend on how teams want to use an aggressive, hard-hitting safety with some coverage liabilities. Also, if teams are convinced he can contribute right away on special teams, with the ability to develop into a potential starter, Carter will probably go somewhere in the third round or fourth round.

How He Helps Cowboys: Carter would immediately bring some physicality to the position and could be an instant boost on special teams. However, he'd also fall right in line with another group of young, unproven safeties such as Barry Church, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Danny McCray. Last year, the Cowboys used McCray in the box as a nickel linebacker and that seems to be a good fit for Carter. We'll see how Rob Ryan uses bigger safeties like them.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind us drafting Quinton Carter...to play Strong Safety. He will get exposed at Free Safety but I do love his toughness.

Top Bottom