sbk92

Reaction score
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- As the lawsuits against Dez Bryant pile up, should this affect the Cowboys’ draft plans or does this help keep Roy Williams on the roster in 2011?

There is no doubting Bryant’s talent. He showed as a rookie that he can make plays only a handful of wide receivers can make. But he missed the preseason with an ankle injury. He suffered a myriad of injuries that did not keep him out of games but kept him from practicing. He is coming off a fractured ankle that cost him the last four games of the season.

Recently he has had these off-field mishaps that individually do not mean that much but collectively become tiresome.

If anybody needs the lockout to end it is Bryant. He needs the structure. But it does not appear the lockout will end soon or at least before the draft.

So, say you’re the Cowboys at No. 9 in the first round and A.J. Green or Julio Jones are staring you in the face, do you take either big-play wide receiver with that pick? If you say, no, then do you take a receiver in the second or third rounds?

The idea is for Bryant to start opposite Miles Austin in 2011 and Williams to serve as the No. 3 receiver if William remains on the roster. In effect, Williams was that guy last year even if he still was introduced as a starter.

Williams’ $9.48 million cap figure is too heavy for a No. 3 receiver, but the Cowboys do not know if they can rely on Bryant. He has been hurt. He has a tardiness issue. He has an attentiveness issue as well. If the Cowboys let Williams go, then they have Kevin Ogletree as the next-best option currently on the roster. Remember, Sam Hurd was not tendered and would be free to sign with another team once a new collective bargaining agreement is in place.

Talent wins out most of the time in the NFL. Teams will be as patient as possible, especially with a player as talented as Bryant, but the smart teams also have a backup plan in place.

The Cowboys should have a plan ready.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree with this. We either need to keep Roy or bring in a guy as a just incase.

And its not only because of Dez's potential to be the next TO. I also still have some uncertainty with Miles Austin.

Trade Roy for a pick or to move up in a round and we better replace him with another wideout. Maybe a third round guy or get a small school guy with big production like Cecil Shorts in the later rounds.

sbk92

Reaction score
I agree with this. We either need to keep Roy or bring in a guy as a just incase.

And its not only because of Dez's potential to be the next TO. I also still have some uncertainty with Miles Austin.

Trade Roy for a pick or to move up in a round and we better replace him with another wideout. Maybe a third round guy or get a small school guy with big production like Cecil Shorts in the later rounds.

Smart.

But it'll never happen. The GM is in love with Austin. He thinks he's Andre Johnson.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm of the mind that when Romo's right, he makes receivers better.

Roy looked pretty nasty those first few games of last year with Romo.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like the Packers and Steelers approach of drafting a WR in the mid-rounds (3rd, 4th, 5th) almost every year.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Keep him around, we will need the dumbass qoutes next season.

I am with ya guys. I am not sold on Austin as of yet either. Draft some WR's, not track stars.

I really don't care who they have at WR, as long as they produce. And produce a lot.

Top Bottom