Reaction score
Agree with peplaw. He learned it from Jimmy with the Haley deal and has been trying to replicate since. It's only maybe worked out with Collins in that 20 year span.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Agree with peplaw. He learned it from Jimmy with the Haley deal and has been trying to replicate since.
Whoa, hold the phone there. Haley wasn't a violent idiot who beat up a girlfriend. Or beat up anyone. And he wasn't "on the cheap" like the troubled players Pep mentions. We got him you could SAY almost for "free" by using one of the picks that resulted from the Walker trade, in the trade deal with SF. We didn't lowball him on salary. Haley was legitimately bipolar and his problems in SF were with the HC and Steve Young.

Jerry's not following any of Jimmy's formulas.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Part of it is the old wildcatter gambling on a cheap asset, and I'm sure he wants everyone to give him credit as a GM for it if it works. But part of it seems to be that for whatever reason Jerry gets a big charge out of befriending these guys and helping them along. Look how he was on Hard Knocks that one year when they detailed the Pacman saga... I thought Jerry was going to tear up a couple of times talking about that POS.

Reaction score
Whoa, hold the phone there. Haley wasn't a violent idiot who beat up a girlfriend. Or beat up anyone. And he wasn't "on the cheap" like the troubled players Pep mentions. We got him you could SAY almost for "free" by using one of the picks that resulted from the Walker trade, in the trade deal with SF. We didn't lowball him on salary. Haley was legitimately bipolar and his problems in SF were with the HC and Steve Young.

Jerry's not following any of Jimmy's formulas.
I think what UVA's saying is that Jimmy did take a chance on a somewhat troubled player that paid dividends... Jerry saw that and wondered if he could go deeper in the bottom of the barrell than Jimmy did, save more money and have it pay dividends to the same level.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think what UVA's saying is that Jimmy did take a chance on a somewhat troubled player that paid dividends... Jerry saw that and wondered if he could go deeper in the bottom of the barrell than Jimmy did, save more money and have it pay dividends to the same level.
My main objection to it actually was someone believing Jerruh has either the brains or the humility, to try anything comparable to anything Jimmy did. But yeah, letting it look like we might be comparing Haley to any of the players you named, was onerous.

Top Bottom