C

Cr122

DC.com | Bryant To Run Routes During Afternoon Practice

Edward Lewis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email

What's The Scoop:

Dez Bryant was playing catch with secondary coach Dave Campo before this morning's practice when he saw head coach Wade Phillips out of the corner of his eye.

His mouth creased into a smile, his eyes got big and he happily yelled to Phillips, "Coach, I'm running routes today!"

For the first time since injuring his ankle in July, Bryant will run routes. He's expected to sprint, cut, turn on a dime and catch passes from quarterbacks in Thursday's afternoon practice. It won't be full participation in practice - that could come as early as next week.

"I'm excited," Bryant said. "I am ready for it. I know I can (cut on the ankle)."

Bryant said athletic trainer Britt Brown told him he would be able to run routes today. If everything goes well, Bryant said, he'll return to practice next week and could even see some time in the Cowboys last preseason game against the Dolphins.

"If I do good or great," Bryant said. "There's a possibility I might get a couple snaps in next week against Miami."

Even if Bryant falters while running in this afternoon's practice, he's more than sure he will be back for the season opener against the Redskins on Sept. 12.

"I know for a fact that I'm going to be ready for Washington," Bryant said. "I know for a fact. I feel great, I feel fine. If you've been here, you've seen me run. I've been running; I've been doing a lot of good things. So I'll be ready."

Quick Shots:

* Backup center Phil Costa and Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff worked together on technique for about 15 minutes after practice this morning. Ratliff was showing Costa his rip and swim moves, trying to teach Costa how to defend it. "He's one of the best guys in the league at what he does," Costa said. "So it's great being able to play against him every day."

* Linebacker Leon Williams (ear) returned to today's no-helmet practice with a bandage on his left ear. He said he doesn't know how the injury happened, but guessed it came from taking his helmet on and off.

* Receiver Kevin Ogletree was also back at Thursday morning's practice. He was out with a sore hamstring earlier this week.

* Today's morning practice was only a walkthrough, but Pro Bowl receiver Miles Austin already looks like he's in midseason form. Austin caught several touchdown passes today, including a one-hander that drew a loud cheer from the crowd.

You Should've Seen:

Cornerback Mike Jenkins was covering receiver Terrell Hudgins on a fade route in goal line walkthroughs when the ball came in the air. Jenkins set up for the interception, faked like he was going to catch it and immediately ducked out the way as the ball arrived. The ball hit Hudgins right in the gut and Jenkins laughed hysterically afterward. Hudgins was less amused.

Who's Hot:

Alex Barron returned to practice this week and was immediately inserted into the starting lineup at right tackle. In Wednesday's helmets and shoulder pads practice, he handled Cowboys' pass rushers. He's expected to start against Houston this weekend.

Who's Not:

Tight end Jason Pociask has found himself slipping down the depth chart as the Cowboys continue to add tight ends. First, Martin Rucker was signed. Then Scott Sicko (concussion) returned to practice. Both Rucker and Sicko have worked in front of Pociask this week in drills.

Injury Update:
LB Stephen Hodge, knee - PUP
WR Dez Bryant, ankle - week-to-week (7/30)
DE Marcus Spears, knee - 4-6 weeks (8/5)
TE John Phillips, knee - out for season (8/8)
OT Marc Colombo, knee - 1-2 weeks (8/15)
G Kyle Kosier, knee - 4-6 weeks (8/18)
S Gerald Sensabaugh, shoulder - 3-4 weeks (8/21)
LB Keith Brooking, shoulder - day-to-day (8/21)

Missed Practice:
WR Dez Bryant (ankle)
LB Stephen Hodge (knee)
DE Marcus Spears (knee)
LB Keith Brooking (shoulder)
G Kyle Kosier (knee)
OT Marc Colombo (knee)
S Gerald Sensabaugh (shoulder)
TE John Phillips (knee)

Returned to Practice:
WR Kevin Ogletree (hamstring)
LB Leon Williams (cauliflower ear)