dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Happy Halloween assholes!

It certainly wasn't pretty and at times it looked like the humdrum Cowboys circa 2011-2013, but in the end they got it done and we're now 6-1, two games up on everyone else in our division and regardless of what the Vikes do tonight, right now we are still the top seed in the NFC. Normally such a lackluster performance would have me getting pretty negative, but other than stomping the shit out of Philly 41-10 or something, beating them like we did is quite enjoyable because its so disheartening to them.

Trick: This was one of those true WTF games from the special teams. If not for Chris Jones great fake punt run and Dan Bailey's usual kicking excellence (although he did have one that went through close to the right upright- damn him) this would have been a true utter failure from this unit. Stupid return decisions, awful kick/punt coverage, stupid penalties galore, responsible for numerous short fields for them and bad starting position for us. Lucky Whitehead clearly has some quality talent, but his decisions on some returns is just mind numbingly stupid. He also had another bad fumble that we luckily recovered. What REALLY pisses me off most about this is we keep several guys on the active game day roster who have absolutely no football talent whatsoever because they supposedly are "great special teamers", and yet the results are consistently average to mediocre and once or twice a year, something like last night.

Treat: Sean Lee. I'd say whatever was bothering his knee earlier in the yr and limiting his range is feeling better now. He's looked better and better each week and last night he was outstanding. His play to knock the Eagles out of field goal range in the 4th quarter was a game changer. A FG there and its probably lights out on our Boys. Led the team in tackles again, also had two TFL's and caused the sack that T Crawford and Thornton shared late in the 4th.

Trick: Dak Prescott. Yes, for the first time since suiting up as a Cowboy, he appeared to resemble the late 4th rd pick rookie many expected all along. He had more poor throws last night alone than he probably had in all other games this season combined. Should have had 3 or 4 balls picked off and threw an absolute killer endzone pick that had no chance. The bad decisions don't really bother me, all rookies are going to make those and especially rookies coming from the type of system he played in. What did bother me though was how poor some of those throws really were. Badly missed a total gimmee TD to Bryant inside the 10 and also had Bryant wide open for what probably would have been length of field TD later in game. Both balls grossly underthrown. Had several others underthrown or uncatchable. Its cause for concern and I bet there will be a lot of anxious Cowboy organization eyes watching next week vs Cleveland.

Treat: Dak Prescott. Yes, he is both trick and treat. Shook off terrible 2nd and 3rd quarters to lead the team late in 4th and OT to improbable victory. Made a difference with his legs when he had to and was able to avoid a few sure sacks. Perfectly executed 4th and 1 QB sneak to keep game winning drive alive too. As several mentioned during game last night, the win was certainly Staubach-esque in terms of grabbing victory from what seemed sure jaws of defeat.

Trick: Damn injuries. The secondary had actually been far better than any of us reasonably expected, and we lose two starters for at least a month, one of which might be done for the season. Claiborne and Church were both having their best years ever here so far, so they will be missed I'm sure.

Treat: Zeke. He's the fucking man. I've been thrilled since day one that we picked him and his previous 4 games were things of beauty, but I may have come away even more impressed with his game last night than some of those other 4. He got a ton of yardage last night solely on his power and determination alone. The Eagles put 8-9 guys up almost every 1st and 2nd down play it seemed. If not for a pretty dubious hold on Fred, Elliott would have gained nearly 160 on the ground and also added 4 catches for 52 more yards. Should be a run away winner of rookie of the year and while he wont win it, should get consideration/some votes for league MVP.

Trick: Benson Mayowa and Jack Crawford. Horrendous vs the run and the pass. The two combined for two tackles and zero pressures/hits on the QB, and both got dominated by a guy Philly trotted out at RT that had been horrible for two games. Broken record as I say it every week, but the Cowboys JUST HAVE TO MAKE A MOVE TO TRADE FOR DE HELP.

Treat: Defense did give up too many short completions and didn't get to Wentz enough (especially first 3+ quarters) but they did hold the Wentz to only 4.7 yds per attempt, sacked him 3 time, nearly had a pick and recorded a really impressive 11 (yes ELEVEN) tackles for loss. Tyrone Crawford had 2 1/2 tackles for loss, 1 1/2 sacks and 3 QB knockdowns.

Trick: Bad offense on 3rd down. Almost assuredly a season worst 4/14 on 3rd downs. Had too many 3 and outs.

Treat: In an obviously off night offensively in which our rookie QB finally looked human, we still scored 29 pts, had 460 yds (and lost 60 on bogus holding call on Fred), had 26 first downs, won the TOP battle and in major clutch time scored a game tying TD late on 11 play/90 yd drive and then finished off game in OT with a 12 play/75 yd TD drive.

The Browns game is the absolute epitome of a trap/let down game. Huge emotional win over tough divisional opponent last night followed up with a game to an 0-8 team that's given up the most points in the league. Garrett rarely gets any kudos for his coaching but deserves some for a few ballsy calls in last nights game and not letting team fold up when things looked bad. The real measurement of where he and this staff is will come by what we see Sunday in Cleveland I think. Just cant let this team letdown and blow what should be a comfortable win. Need to get Prescott going early next week and my suggestion would be to let him complete as many easy, safe throws early and then try to burn them downfield more later on. Zeke is a tremendous weapon in the passing game, if teams arnt going to cover him or try to with inferior guys then just keep dumping it off to him on outlets, flats and a few screens until teams do something different.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not worried about Dak missing on the throws. It happens. Remember Tony against Carolina last year? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and tossed what, 3 picks?

Reaction score
Trick A distance pass to TWilly from Beasley that required the WR to be 4.40 speed (he is not) and required the WR to stretch out his hands in front of him or dive (neither one). Would have made more sense with Brice Butler.

Treat For the first time ever in a NFL non preseason or training camp game, Terrance Williams extended his hands above his head and caught the ball with his hands. #worldisgoingtoend.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Browns game is the absolute epitome of a trap/let down game.

Yeah I could see that for sure. Think they win though.

My day after thoughts are: Jesus H Christ, stop FORCING the ball to Dez, almost brought the offense to a grinding halt with that shit. Also run the lateral to Beasley where he throws down field once a game. They will hit it a few times and it will be worth it.

Reaction score
The browns is not a let down game. The browns are a dumpster fire of pure shit. We will win by 20+ points.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My day after thoughts are: Jesus H Christ, stop FORCING the ball to Dez, almost brought the offense to a grinding halt with that shit. Also run the lateral to Beasley where he throws down field once a game. They will hit it a few times and it will be worth it.

It wasn't like he was forcing the ball in coverage to Bryant thoughhe had him for several plays, including one gimmee TD and one other (probable) long TD. Eagles also got away with a massive one arm grab/hold on one of the other endzone targets to Bryant.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They played pretty tough this week and Terrelle Pryor scorched Revis.

They've had a few close calls for wins. I know they are bad but playing 4 or 5 QB's is never a good thing. They have McCown back now and he can play some.

I wont be surprised if its a really tough game for us.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The browns is not a let down game. The browns are a dumpster fire of pure shit. We will win by 20+ points.

What's this "we" shit, I thought you became a seabag fan?

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
start lowering expectations in case disaster strikes! :lol

elite teams are susceptible to "trap" games. that ain't us.

Just being realistic.

As for your elite teams comment and "trap" game. Dallas lost to a bad Rams team in 1992, lost to a bad Redskins and horrible Falcons team in 1993 and actually got swept by a bad Redskins team in 1995. Were those Cowboys "elite"?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Just being realistic.

As for your elite teams comment and "trap" game. Dallas lost to a bad Rams team in 1992, lost to a bad Redskins and horrible Falcons team in 1993 and actually got swept by a bad Redskins team in 1995. Were those Cowboys "elite"?

well, yes. that was my whole point. there are no trap games for the 2016 Cowboys because we're not as good as our record. if you expect us to struggle in Cleveland, what other game remaining on the schedule do you expect us to win in a laugher?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
well, yes. that was my whole point. there are no trap games for the 2016 Cowboys because we're not as good as our record. if you expect us to struggle in Cleveland, what other game remaining on the schedule do you expect us to win in a laugher?

Then it sounds like we're on the same page then I guess.

I don't believe this team is "elite", I think we're good but there are definitely areas of concern.

I don't know that I "expect" any laughers. We should certainly beat Cleveland and Baltimore and will be favored vs Washington, Tampa and Detroit, but that certainly doesn't mean "laugher". We could those last 3 or lose all 3. Really tough games remaining at Pittsburgh, at Minnesota at NYG and at Philly, although similar to those last 3 home games, we could win them all or lose them all.

Top Bottom