dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McCarthy mentioned it after the Thanksgiving win, that winning 3 games in 12 days is hard. And it was definitely a tough game against a reeling opponent. No way to really sugar coat that, Seattle had lost 3 of 4 and had been completely blown off the field by Baltimore and San Fran (37-3 and 31-13). They had not scored more than 29 pts in any game since week 2 (they scored 37 v Detroit that day). They could barely get first downs and gave up 6 sacks v San Fran a week ago, and as mentioned during the game they had not scored an offensive TD in 7+ quarters. But we did find a way to win instead of coming up small and finding ways to lose, and 9-3 is definitely better than 8-4.

1) Prescott continued his outstanding play and is probably the main reason we stayed in the game and eventually won it. Threw for 299 and 3 scores, but he had two other TD's dropped and also a rushing TD called back by a pretty lame holding call on Steele. For the night he probably had at least 5 passes dropped (something they badly need to clean up) but he stood in v a surprisingly good Seattle pass rush, took some big hits and pulled one major superman type play off by avoiding the should have been easy sack and completing a 15-20 pass on the sideline to Tolbert. He didn't "win" the MVP last night, but he certainly has to be right there at the top in the discussion. If he shows he can do this against the schedule we have left, I think he probably has to win it.

2) Lamb had another sensational game with 12 catches for almost 120 yds and a TD, plus 2 carries for another 30 yards. But he was the guilty party on two of those drops. The first one (which was on the 4th down play after Blands pick) was a real killer because he was wide open, Prescott threw a perfect ball and we would have continued the drive and probably scored. Instead we came up empty. The second one was a tougher play, but Prescott did somehow fit it in there between the defenders. Ball might have been a tad high and I'm sure the defenders arms/hands maybe shielded Lamb's view some, but after wtahcing the replay its a catch he makes alot. Should have been 7. He's also been an outstnding blocker downfield for his career, but especialy the last two seasons. Last night though he wasn't as good and a couple plays ended up with less yardage because he didn't quite finish those blocks like normally. Could be fatigue I suppose (the 3 games in 12 days thing)

3) Jake Ferguson is not only a quality starter, he is turning into a potential star at TE. Fantastic blocker, but his route running, hands and physical play after the catch is really high end stuff. Had another of those "hurdle" the defender plays last night and had a really physical catch and run for a first down into the redzone too. Love this kid. I honestly think we may have two of him, because Schoonmaker is a similar type TE with similar skills, only with a little more straight line speed. We are set at TE for years to come.

4) OL play was so-so. After going 3 games and allowing no sacks, Prescott was nailed for 4 sacks last night and it EASILY could have been 5 or 6. Had fairly consistent pressure on him most of the game and the run blocking was also just mediocre (though it was better in the 4th qtr). Too many sacks and tackle for loss plays. Terrence Steele again appeared to be the worst offender and after playing decently the last 3 games, looked more like the human turnstile he was against Philly and SF again. The contract they gave him is looking really bad. Biadasz also had a couple bad plays that I noticed. The Smith's had their usual pretty strong game though.

5) Onto the defense, and it was bad. Really bad. Seattle has not been good on offense this year. Geno Smith was one of the lowest rated QB's in the league vs man coverage. He was under constant pressure and sacked a half dozen times 7 days ago. I would hope the cause of the really bad play was fatigue from 3 games in 12 days, because otherwise they have serious concerns heading into these next 4 games. I do think some of its being gassed though, as the energy they normally play with just wasn't there, and they missed a few more tackles than normal too. Daron Bland had a nice pick (nearly had a 2nd) but otherwise had one of the all-timer bad type games. Got scorched all night by pretty much every Seattle WR. The first TD he gave up was not all his fault (Wilson completely misplayed it/late as usual) but the other one was all him. Also had a bad PI that ended up costing us a TD. If Quinn hadnt moved Gilmore onto Metcalf for most of the 2nd half, he might have gone off for 300 yards by himself. The defense didnt force a single punt, had no real sacks (Hankins got credit for 1, but it was on the backup RB which makes no sense) and the team managed only one TFL the entire game. The safety play was as putrid as it could be. Those 3 guys (Kearse, Hooker and Wilson) are complete non factors v the pass and like Steele, have BAD contracts we have to deal with now (esp Hooker)

6) On the positive side, the defense did come up with three huge 4th down stops to end the game (last three drives) and Demarcus Lawrence, Jourdan Lewis (two great passes defensed) and then Parsons (albeit unblocked) were the reasons. Hopefully with a few extras days of rest, they can play as a team more like they are capable of.

7) Will be interesting to see how the Shaq Leonard things plays out. I still have my doubts he'd make that much REAL difference, but after they saw what they saw last night defensively, you'd think the urgency on their part to sign him might have stepped up. That said, Jerruh spoke after the game and when asked about it, he really didnt seem very enthusiastic about it working out. He basically said "well we might hear something by the end of the weekend"

8) While giving up 35 pts to them sucked, it at least gives me a LITTLE hope that Seattle can play with San Fran and Philly over the next couple weeks, and hopefully have a chance there. They get Philly at home in two weeks (and the game was flexed to MNF) and they should be desperate.

9) 19 penalties for a combined 257 yards last night. Fuck you refs and fuck you Goodell. If it hadn't have been the Cowboys I would have completely turned it off as it was getting unwatchable. This ref crew called a season high (for them) in total penalties, and prior to last night the season high in penalty yards was 105 (it was the only game they've had over a 100). This clown league has a SERIOUS problem with officials and gambling and it gets more obvious every fucking week. Oh and by the way, another game where the other teams OL was not flagged for ONE fucking holding call, even though our guys had another 2 or 3 last night. Micah Parsons has drawn only two holding calls ALL FUCKING SEASON, and none in the last 6 games. This shit is fucking criminal.

10) I thought McCarthy called a pretty good game, but choosing to go for the kill shot on 3rd and 3 with around 1:45 or so left probably wasn't one of the better decisions. I get wanting to WIN the game by getting the first down, but I think there you'd rather have a play in place where Prescott could have moved outside the pocket and then if no one open, try to run for it or just fall down and keep the clock running. You'd have left Seattle with probably no more than a minute left and still having to score 7 to win.

11) Michael Gallup has completely disappeared from the offense the last couple games (1 target v Wash and Seattle) and never appeared open on plays where I watched him. Tolbert is better than him at this point and I think rookie Jalen Brooks might be too. Turpin is a real weapon because of his speed and RAC potential, but he has to catch the damn ball. Two bad drops for him again last night. But I wonder how close we are to seeing Gallup just deactivated. He doesnt do anything on special teams and right now brings nothing to the pass game.

Like I said, 9-3 is better than 8-4 and last night is the kind of game we may have blown in the past, but they need to get the defense right if they want to have any real chance of making a run. The Philly game is huge next week and if they lose, the division is all but over and I think serious doubts about their ability to do anything in January will be hanging over their heads.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"I understand nobody's opinion defines me, that's the great part about life and that's the great opportunity that we all have, that people can say whatever they want, but you know I have the pen, I have the paper and I'm the one writing."

-- Dak Prescott.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
McCarthy has never been good at time management and last night was no exception. He made three big mistakes:

1. Won the coin toss but didn't defer. Sure enough, Seattle scores a TD on the first drive of the 3rd quarter.
2. Declined a penalty that would've made it 2nd and 19. Seattle easily picks up the first down on 3rd and 7. We're lucky they missed a FG.
3. Threw the ball instead of running late in the 4th. Worse, a pass to the end zone instead of attempting a higher percentage completion.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McCarthy has never been good at time management and last night was no exception. He made three big mistakes:

1. Won the coin toss but didn't defer. Sure enough, Seattle scores a TD on the first drive of the 3rd quarter.
2. Declined a penalty that would've made it 2nd and 17. Seattle easily picks up the first down on 3rd and 7. We're lucky they missed a FG.
3. Threw the ball instead of running late in the 4th. Worse, a pass to the end zone instead of attempting a higher percentage completion.

I think with #1, he probably had a sense the defense was already gasping for air before the team even showed up. The offense has been killing it, and they delivered by moving right down the field. Sucked they settled for the FG, but they did do what he wanted.

#2 was bad, especially if he did choose to take the ball for the reason I mentioned. If he knew the D wasnt up to par, why not make the other team go farther.

#3, I don't blame him for not running, we suck at it. He wanted to ensure they got the first down. Don't agree with the route design though unless Lamb was supposed to just take defenders away and open up a shorter route elsewhere. Something short and easy or maybe something rolling Prescott out so he could run if he wanted seems to have made more sense for sure.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
#3, I don't blame him for not running, we suck at it.
But we'd been running successfully before the ill-fated pass. I guess Fat Mike tried to fool them.

• 1st & 10 at SEA 49

(3:11 - 4th) T.Pollard right guard to SEA 45 for 4 yards (B.Wagner).
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 45​

(2:25 - 4th) C.Lamb left end to SEA 21 for 24 yards (D.Witherspoon).
  • 1st & 10 at SEA 21​

(2:00 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning
  • 1st & 10 at SEA 21

(2:00 - 4th) T.Pollard left end to SEA 17 for 4 yards (Ja.Reed).
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 17​

(1:56 - 4th) Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:56.
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 17

(1:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Pollard left guard to SEA 14 for 3 yards (Ja.Reed; B.Wagner).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But we'd been running successfully before the ill-fated pass. I guess Fat Mike tried to fool them.

• 1st & 10 at SEA 49

(3:11 - 4th) T.Pollard right guard to SEA 45 for 4 yards (B.Wagner).
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 45​

(2:25 - 4th) C.Lamb left end to SEA 21 for 24 yards (D.Witherspoon).
  • 1st & 10 at SEA 21​

(2:00 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning
  • 1st & 10 at SEA 21

(2:00 - 4th) T.Pollard left end to SEA 17 for 4 yards (Ja.Reed).
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 17​

(1:56 - 4th) Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:56.
  • 2nd & 6 at SEA 17

(1:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Pollard left guard to SEA 14 for 3 yards (Ja.Reed; B.Wagner).
I get it, they ran the ball better in the 4th quarter (after being pretty bad for most of the rest of the game)

But if you are trying to win the game you normally want the ball in the best players hands to do that. Pollard aint it.

I was fine with them calling a pass (and thought they would). Just wish they would have called something shorter or rolled out.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Just wish they would have called something shorter or rolled out.
He should've taken the sack. He had pressure in his face when he released the ball. Shockingly, Steele wasn't to blame.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a shot from All-22. If Jarran Reed hadn't gotten back into his face so fast, Prescott prob would have seen Cooks. Not only is it an easy first down, its probably a TD.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
A lineman can get through quickly and disrupt the pass? That's why you run.

#woodyhayes

Top Bottom