dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I expected a really tough game that would be pretty low scoring, didn't really expect us to hang 30 on them (and honestly probably should have been another 40-burger) but other than a few plays, there's absolutely nothing to complain about. The Jets are a good team and I think they'll definitely be in the playoffs, or at least be one of the teams strongly in the hunt. Their defense is absolutely legit.

1) Monster performance from Parsons, who wrecked the Jets almost on his own. Multiple sacks, a man beast forced fumble and recovery, primary cause of pick for Kearse, multiple tackles for loss. MVP type performance.

2) The Jets had a good night rushing against a solid Bills run D Monday (24 carries 166 yds, Breece Hall also had an 83 yarder) but against us, they managed 11 carries for 28 yards and their longest run was 9 yds (once). Thats two games in a row now where the run D has been very stout. The Cardinals are not overly good but they have been able to run the ball pretty well their first two games. Next week should be a solid test for the run D as well.

3) Pretty solid offensive performance all things considered. We had a massive play count advantage (83-46), scored 30 pts and for the 2nd straight game didnt turn the ball over. Jets had 5 sacks and forced Josh Allen into 4 turnovers, yesterday they got only one sack and forced no turnovers (granted, Sauce Gardner should have had a pick-6). But the two game total for us now is 0 turnovers and only 1 sack yielded. Too many field goals, but that also comes with a huge + because we learned a lot about our PK yesterday. Kid looks LEGIT. Nailed every FG and PAT, and in two games despite 100 kickoffs, everything has been a touchback. His 55 yd FG would have been good from 65.

4) Prescott had a fairly nice game. Nothing too flashy and other than the near pick 6 (which he said he was trying to throw away) no bad decisions. Missed Ferguson for what should have been a GL TD, although the worst part of that play was Lamb was even more wide open and an easier throw and Prescott didnt see him. The ball is definitely coming out quicker and his ball placement on many of these routes is superb. Offense has a chance to be really good, especially when we get Tyler Smith on the field with the OL (we were down to a 3rd string UDFA playing a lot of the game yesterday at LG) and Brandin Cooks is back out there.

5) Love Mike McCarthy's playcalling through first two games. He's doing exactly what he said he would do, calling plays for situational football and to shorten games and our defense's exposure. I did hate the two reverse calls, especially the TE reverse on the 1. Although I think Hendershot would have scored if he had not tried to loop way outside. Dowdle did something similar on the next play otherwise he would have scored too I think. Those guys are big enough that they shouldn't have been trying to run lateral that much for short yardage.

6) Malik Hooker has kind of turned into my one bitch player. I didn't think his play since we had him warranted the type of new contract he got. He dropped a gimmee pick last week and this week completely blew what should have been a routine tackle that turned into a 68 yd TD. But props to him, he did make it up for it later in the 2nd half, made a great read to get over to help Diggs (who was beaten) to not only prevent a Jets TD but get us the football. Hopefully he does more of that as the season wears on.

7) The FB is back in the Cowboy offense, and while Luepke isnt Moose reincarnated, he did have a few nice blocks through the hole yesterday. I also fully anticipate some play-action stuff is coming to him soon, as we all saw how natural a receiver he was in preseason (and on college tape). As good a runner as he is, I wonder if he might start getting some carries on short yardage and GL situations as well.

8) Mazi Smith didnt get as many snaps but had some nice reps. The Jets couldnt run the ball a lick (him and Hankins are both doing well in that regard). Smith also had a really good pass rush rep in the 4th qtr. Osa Odighizuwa is off to a sensational start though and is really taking the next step. Now has 3 sacks in 2 games and is beating guys against the pass and run. We have a really nice rotation at DT and both Gallimore and Golston are getting positive reps too. Golston has had several good pass rush snaps in the nickel.

Overall, this looks like a really well coached, super focused football team so kudos to McCarthy and the rest of the coaching staff because its been a L O N G time since we could really say those two things. Long season, but we all have to be super thrilled with what we are seeing so far. It definitely doesn't look like "same 'ol Cowboys" right now. They should beat Arizona and New England to get to 4-0 (hopefully they don't piss the bed in either of these) and then we get to REALLY see where we are, when we go to SF for SNF.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Love Mike McCarthy's playcalling through first two games. He's doing exactly what he said he would do, calling plays for situational football and to shorten games
Right now we don't have anything on tape but also, we don't have his offense fully installed as yet. This is full blown pure West Coast stuff the likes of which hasn't been seen since Montana wore the SF red. NO vestiges of Ginger's offense are left. Which is a good thing. It's not setting the world on fire in LA Chargers land either.

Good summation overall dbair. Need much better blocking outta Lipke, there were too many plays where he looked like he didn't know what to do.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
We could really use a short yardage back. Zeke, for all his limitations, had a nose for the end zone. Aside from Luepke, all our backs are light in the pants. Is Gallup still on the team? He's had more than a year to recover from the injury, so his no-show is very alarming. Tolbert might lap him soon.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good summation overall dbair. Need much better blocking outta Lipke, there were too many plays where he looked like he didn't know what to do.
Yeah I saw a couple plays where it looked like he either blocked the wrong guy or wasnt 100% sure where to lead through, but it's a new position for him and obviously an offense which he has never played in before now.

On the few plays where he did lead through correctly I saw him pop a couple guys really good. I think he will develop there and obviously expect some usage in the passing game (and maybe even run game) sprinkled in eventually.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We could really use a short yardage back. Zeke, for all his limitations, had a nose for the end zone. Aside from Luepke, all our backs are light in the pants. Is Gallup still on the team? He's had more than a year to recover from the injury, so his no-show is very alarming. Tolbert might lap him soon.
I'm not really worried about Gallup yet, he's only been targeted 4 times. He did catch the one deep ball he got the other night v NYG but couldnt come down completely in bounds. He'll be fine.

That said, I think Tolbert is going to be good. Could be interesting discussions around the trade deadline regarding Gallup.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a couple plays where it looked like he either blocked the wrong guy or wasnt 100% sure where to lead through, but it's a new position for him and obviously an offense which he has never played in before now.

On the few plays where he did lead through correctly I saw him pop a couple guys really good. I think he will develop there and obviously expect some usage in the passing game (and maybe even run game) sprinkled in eventually.
Belechick will take advantage of this rookie and create a big play/scoring play for his D. Lipstick needs to get his shit together now. Today. I totally get what you're saying though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak needs to run the fuckin ball into the end zone. Even if he doesn't get there you still sent that message. He needs to take off with it at least two or three times every game. Keep the fuckin defense honest.

But yeah we lack short yardage punch, I agree.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If the Jets offered a third for Rush, would you do it?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dak needs to run the fuckin ball into the end zone. Even if he doesn't get there you still sent that message. He needs to take off with it at least two or three times every game. Keep the fuckin defense honest.

But yeah we lack short yardage punch, I agree.
That punch might look different with Tyler Smith at LG instead of a rookie UDFA.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dunno. We forked over a 4th for a total enigma. At least Rush proved he can play.
He's a highly talented enigma who was great in college and has been hurt for two yrs in the pros.

He had 1st/2nd rd talent and major throwing ability. Rush has none of that.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good write up DBair. Interesting to me anyway, and if you have any faith in PFF grades, Hooker ended up with a 91 grade yesterday. Before the season started they were talking about him on whatever show Broaddus is on, and basically they said his performance the last 10 games of last season werent particularly good and wondered why he was brought back. I tend to feel that way myself.

Five words: Micah has to stay healthy! Season rides on that in my mind anyway. His quickness off the snap and ease with which he gets into opponents backfield hasnt been seen around here in a while. Particularly with his consistency.

Part of me wonders what happens if Sauce houses that almost interception. Still think the Cowboys win because well, Zack Wilson aint exactly it, but could have been a much more interesting game anyway.

I agree with BB. I'd like to see another RB. Raheem Mosert type back would be a nice short term fit but Miami sure isnt giving him up. Cam Akers is available but if McVay cant motivate him, I sure dont want him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good write up DBair. Interesting to me anyway, and if you have any faith in PFF grades, Hooker ended up with a 91 grade yesterday. Before the season started they were talking about him on whatever show Broaddus is on, and basically they said his performance the last 10 games of last season werent particularly good and wondered why he was brought back. I tend to feel that way myself.

Five words: Micah has to stay healthy! Season rides on that in my mind anyway. His quickness off the snap and ease with which he gets into opponents backfield hasnt been seen around here in a while. Particularly with his consistency.

Part of me wonders what happens if Sauce houses that almost interception. Still think the Cowboys win because well, Zack Wilson aint exactly it, but could have been a much more interesting game anyway.

I agree with BB. I'd like to see another RB. Raheem Mosert type back would be a nice short term fit but Miami sure isnt giving him up. Cam Akers is available but if McVay cant motivate him, I sure dont want him.
I don't really understand how PFF does grades but obviously in Hooker's case they didn't ding him for the missed tackle that was the reason the Jets scored the long TD, they obviously dinged the cover CB (I think it was Gilmore) even though Gilmore played it like the coverage was designed to do. To Hooker's credit though, he did save a TD and got the pick later in the game. But I didnt like the contract extension because I don't think he's shown to be worth that much (so far anyway)

Agree on Parsons, we'd have an ok to decent defense without him, but we are the best defense in the league now with him.

On the near interception, the only thing it would have done would be make the final score not look as bad. The Jets were still going to lose, but maybe it would have ended up 30-17. I also wonder if McCarthy would have called plays a little more aggressively had the game been closer.

Not sure what they can do about RB. The Colts obviously want to trade Jonathan Taylor but currently he's hurt and would cost us a lot. Derrick Henry might be able to be had once the Titans fall out of the playoff race, but that division isnt all that good so that day might not come for them. Cam Akers is a complete mental midget so I want nothing to do with him, nor do I think he's better than what we have currently. I tend to think the running back situation here will be fine as long as Pollard can stay healthy, but they do need to watch his workload some. Getting Tyler Smith back is going to be huge for the run game I think.

Top Bottom