dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Have to admit I am very surprised at the result, I really thought we'd lose and to me the best case scenario was something similar to the Chargers game. All three phases showed up and made significant contributions but all three were not without flaws either. Even though it was a 30 pt lead and a blowout win, they have obvious stuff they need to work on or address.

1) Since 2009, that fucking abomination called Jerry's World had never been much of a home field advantage for us. They were an ok home team, but it was one in which visiting teams had it easy for the most part. Something has finally changed though, and the Cowboys play great at home and whatever it is, they have a significant advantage over opponents now at home. They've now won 11 in a row there. This year's 3 wins have been 43-20, 38-3 and 30-10.

2) Prescott followed up a quality performance against the Chargers with his best game of the year by far. The passing game looked good yesterday and there were more attempts to get the ball downfield or at least into the intermediate areas. Prescott was this <> close to a 5 TD/0 Pick performance, because I believe had the DL not been able to get his hand on that eventual interception it probably would have been a TD to backup TE Sean McKeon (the ball ended up behind him and he tipped it too, leading to the pick). Using his legs the last two games HAS made a difference. He doesn't look "elegant" doing it but it's been quite effective. But for the most part he threw the ball great yesterday against a Rams defense that had been surprisingly good all year.

3) Defense came up with a number of "pressures" and Brand got another pick 6. Not sure what happened although it appeared to be some sort of miscommunication between Safford and Kupp, but give Bland credit for jumping on it. Run D was ok but did have some moments where they gave up too many 5-6-7 yard runs. Parsons got one sack early (big play on 3rd down) and had what appeared to be a strip sack overturned by replay. Still not sure why unless it was just a mercy call by officials, we were already up 26-3 at the time. Armstrong had a late sack as well.

4) Love our special teams. Aubrey is an absolute stud. The 58 yd FG he hit was right down the pipe and probably would have been good from 65+. Every kickoff was a touchback again and he leads the league in that category (by a wide margin). He's hit every FG he has attempted this year and looks absolutely effortless kicking it. We got another blocked kick (this time a punt block by Sam Williams, which ended up as a safety). Turpin had one great return and had a tremendous 88 yd punt return TD wiped out by a dumbshit penalty on Nashon Wright (wasted pick)

5) Scouting department has some notable misses with 2nd rd picks, but they have to get major credit for some of the finds they do have outside the 1st rd. Deron Bland looks like a probowler for certain and with 9 games left in season is a legit threat to tie or break the NFL record for pick 6's in a season. Jake Ferguson has the makings of one of the better all around TE's in the making, spectacular TD grab yesterday (good route, great throw and catch) and ended up with 4 catches. Outstanding blocker too. Marquese Bell has been outstanding the last two games and his speed and sure tackling really stands out. Aubrey as noted above is a stud. Kevontae Turpin has some lapses here and there (another dumb return decision yesterday, running one out of endzone fro the backline, also had a dumbshit pre-snap penalty as WR) but he is extremely explosive and a potential house call from almost anywhere on field.

6) CeeDee Lamb is gonna get paid, and absolutely deserves every penny. Best offensive player on our team (by a significant amount IMO) and is just entering his prime. One of the best route runners in the league and is a YAC monster. Is on pace for career highs in catches and yards, despite having a couple games where he was inexplicably ignored in the game plan. Don't see them making that mistake anymore this yr though.

7) As noted in beginning, despite the blowout win there is some stuff they can address and fix. They don't have a consistent pass rush and sacks are few and far between since the Diggs injury. 10 sacks first two games, only 8 in 5 games since. To me, getting another pass rusher should be the teams #1 priority between now and the trade deadline tomorrow afternoon. Do something (Jones idiots) to help make this team a legit contender. Go big for once. Go get a bigtime DL to help Parsons, Lawrence, Odiggy, Armstrong etc etc. Every team now knows if they can block Parsons (even with two or three guys) that we will unlikely hit the QB. The run blocking is still mediocre to poor and Steele had another game where he got worked. Martin also seemed to struggle again and is obviously still not 100%. Pass protection is also still shoddy and needs to improve. Getting another CB (to get Lewis off the field) should also be something they focus on, and there appears to be several decent CB's available they could take a look at.

8) Turpin had the two knucklead plays but otherwise was outstanding. Had what should have been a 88 yd punt return TD (after nearly taking another to the house earlier). Also was wide open late for what probably would have been another TD but Cooper Rush threw a terrible pass. Getting him more involved (and less of Gallup) seems to be a good idea to me.

9) Speaking of Gallup, I'd move him by tomorrow if I could. He had one nice catch early in the game and then just one other short reception after. He needs a new start somewhere else and we have young guys behind him here (Tolbert and Turpin) that need to be getting more chances. Jake Ferguson should be more involved in the passing game as well and is a bigger impact player than Gallup now anyway. They probably cant get a lot for him, but just getting his contract off the books and opening chances for others makes it worth the move IMO, even if they only got a day three pick or something in return. Even better if they can use him as part of package to get a bigtime DL.

10) Really nice to watch a game where the damn refs don't fuck everything up left and right. Only 4 flags on each team yesterday.

Good win and big game next Sunday against an Eagles team that has not looked as good as they were last yr. Would love to see the idiot GM finally do something that shows they truly want to win it all. They have two glaring needs on defense and several teams that by most accounts are looking to start a rebuild. If they got a bigtime DL to help the pass rush that could move the defense from being pretty good to truly special.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
believe had the DL not been able to get his hand on that eventual interception it probably would have been a TD to backup TE Sean McKeon (the ball ended up behind him and he tipped it too, leading to the pick).
This ball was tipped by the NG at the line, leading to all that followed. Pass was on target, the NG just made a play and stopped a touchdown.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It was very clear the QB was down before the ball ripped away.
They changed it to an incomplete pass though.

I dont think he was down either and Parsons punched at the ball before the fumble actually occurred, seemed like it was moving some. I'll watch it again later.

They called it a fumble on the field, I didn't really see "inconclusive evidence" that it was an incomplete pass, and in those situations they are supposed to go with the call on the field. Not one ref ruled it incomplete live.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This game highlights how important it is for this team to get a lead in any game. I thought the Cowboys had the superior roster going into the game and they probably win regardless. The thing is this offense plays so much better from ahead. Also this team needs as many home playoff games as possible so.....it would be a really good idea to win this weekend as the game likely decides the division.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I recommend not watching games while drinking huge amounts of booze
Not even talking about the same play. But the one you showed there, the hand is going forward before the ball comes loose. It's not even a controversial call in the game. I thought you were talking about the strip sack they reversed. It's not controversial either. NY was correct each time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not even talking about the same play. But the one you showed there, the hand is going forward before the ball comes loose. It's not even a controversial call in the game. I thought you were talking about the strip sack they reversed. It's not controversial either. NY was correct each time.
That's the play dude. There is no other one like that during this game.

They called it a fumble on the field live (every ref that saw it)

You can see the ball move some when he is initially hit. If they would have called it incomplete then fine, there's not enough evidence to overturn it that way. But they called it a fumble and it is not 100% conclusive, therefore the call should have stood.

Pretty sure he got held on that play too.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Always good to see dbair and the crew feeling good after a beat down of the Rams. Dak was great because the D was great and he didn't have to carry the team. Let's hope we can keep it going.......suckers......

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Always good to see dbair and the crew feeling good after a beat down of the Rams. Dak was great because the D was great and he didn't have to carry the team. Let's hope we can keep it going.......suckers......
If we can't beat the Eagles, then we can't win the Super Bowl. We shall see. Second is last.

The D playing great aligns with the points I tried to make about Tony Romo. it takes a team. Great players on defense also need to step up at key moments like Michah DOES, and D-Ware did NOT do enough to be in the HOF and ROH.

Total BS that D-Ware is already in the HOF when guys like Everson Walls, who stepped up time after time, is not after decades. It's PR!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The D didnt throw of any of Dak's passes for him.

For the season, he's been pretty average most of the time. He was downright dreadful against the Cards and the 2nd half of the Niners game. He was ok v the Chargers. But he did play great against the Rams.

Not changing my tune on him, but give him credit for playing the way he did Sunday is something anybody should be able to do.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Total BS that D-Ware is already in the HOF when guys like Everson Walls, who stepped up time after time, is not after decades. It's PR!
Walls deserves to be in. Like many others who have been blatantly left off despite certain franchises getting in guys who were probably above average starters for them. Walls is hardly the only Cowboy player who's been shafted in the HoF discussion.

That said, Ware absolutely deserves to be in the HoF.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If we can't beat the Eagles, then we can't win the Super Bowl. We shall see. Second is last.

The D playing great aligns with the points I tried to make about Tony Romo. it takes a team. Great players on defense also need to step up at key moments like Michah DOES, and D-Ware did NOT do enough to be in the HOF and ROH.

I agree with part of your argument that guys like Walls should be in the HoF.

But you're just way off on Romo....and I'm a HUGE Romo supporter and believe we wasted his career with slugs like Wade and Garrett at a time when he needed coaching. But Romo isn't in the same league as Ware and/or Parsons. Ware and Parsons (up to now) are generational talents. We can't say the same about Romo. Romo wasn't the leader that guys like Troy, and Dodger, and Brady, etc...were. That's not a knock on the guy. He was an UFA that gave us a shot but we couldn't put a better team around him. I think he's a better QB than Dak but I keep in mind that Dak is a 4th round pick and outplayed his draft status.

But you're comparing Romo to players who were/are generational talents.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The D didnt throw of any of Dak's passes for him.

For the season, he's been pretty average most of the time. He was downright dreadful against the Cards and the 2nd half of the Niners game. He was ok v the Chargers. But he did play great against the Rams.

Not changing my tune on him, but give him credit for playing the way he did Sunday is something anybody should be able to do.

I'm not disagreeing that he played great. My point is that he wasn't aked to carry the team and he just played without any pressure to be the man. And he can do well in that scenario.

Top Bottom