sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by rphillips at 3/3/2011 4:45 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

The Cowboys had two cracks at O.J. Atogwe in the past year -- first as a restricted free agent and just recently as an unrestricted guy, released by the Rams. There was never any substantial interest.

Now the veteran safety is a Washington Redskin, signing a five-year deal just before the original Thursday night deadline for the collective bargaining agreement talks.

Released by the Rams before he was due an $8 million roster bonus, Atogwe visited Washington recently and should provide an immediate upgrade at safety. With Alan Ball and Gerald Sensabaugh eventually heading toward free agency, the Cowboys need one, too.

But it won't be Atogwe. Other names like Bob Sanders, Eric Weddle and Danieal Manning will now be tossed out, as well as the upcoming draft prospects.

But no movement on the Cowboys' front yet.

Reaction score
Redskins, Atogwe do five-year, $26 million deal

Redskins, Atogwe do five-year, $26 million deal

Posted by Evan Silva on March 3, 2011, 5:27 PM EST

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Redskins have agreed to terms with safety O.J. Atogwe, formerly of the Rams, on a five-year contract.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter has confirmed the deal, and reports that it’s worth $26 million.

For once, it appears the Redskins did not brutally overpay. Also garnering offseason interest from the Broncos, Bills, and Cowboys, Atogwe’s annual average of $5.2 million sounds reasonable for a safety who has accounted for the third most turnovers among NFL defensive backs over the past five seasons. (Only Charles Woodson and Ed Reed have more.)

In Washington, Atogwe will play free safety alongside “in-the-box” thumper LaRon Landry. Atogwe is familiar with Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett’s schemes, having played for Haslett from 2006 through 2008.

The Redskins still have holes at quarterback, wide receiver, defensive end, nose tackle, and linebacker. And arguably running back and several spots on the offensive line.

But their defensive secondary, at least, is shaping up nicely on paper.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's okay GM Jerry we are perfectly okay ay safety. Wait. Well at least we have a topnotch Secondary Coach to help these guys out. No?

Feel free to address a 2-year glaring need oh mighty General Manager of ours. Doesn't have to be Atogwe but please at least try to improve the position.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's okay GM Jerry we are perfectly okay ay safety. Wait. Well at least we have a topnotch Secondary Coach to help these guys out. No?

Feel free to address a 2-year glaring need oh mighty General Manager of ours. Doesn't have to be Atogwe but please at least try to improve the position.

2 years? It's been going on a decade.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

So you want him to simply rush on out and snag just anybody because the Redskins did?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So you want him to simply rush on out and snag just anybody because the Redskins did?

After last year's colossal miscalculation on Ball I would think "hole at Free Safety" has to be playing over and over again in that hillbilly's head. Atogwe is a very smart and effective player and I would have loved to see what Ryan could do with him. Also, he was available now. The Redskins signing him makes it even worse but no, it's not because THEY signed him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
After last year's colossal miscalculation on Ball I would think "hole at Free Safety" has to be playing over and over again in that hillbilly's head. Atogwe is a very smart and effective player and I would have loved to see what Ryan could do with him. Also, he was available now. The Redskins signing him makes it even worse but no, it's not because THEY signed him.

How many times have the Redskins signed these big name free agents? This is par for course. Supposedly, he signed with the Redskins ebcause of Haslett, but who knows how long Haslett will be there? I personally would like to see what Ryan can do with a guy like Huff. Oh wait! He already worked with him. Yes. Truth be told, I am curious as to how much of Atogwe most people have watched of him, I mean I cannot fanthom anybody not a Rams' fan would watch much Rams football, to have a legitimate clue.

I recall last year how people said much of the same when the Redskins signed McNabb last year, and the year before that, Haynesworth. Glad to see how somethings have not changed.

sbk92

Reaction score
I posted this in the main forum because he's been on many fan wish lists.

The way I see it, the Redskins just became better than us.

Top Bottom